Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
soehl
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Sebastian

log options for VeeamGuestIndexer

Post by soehl »

Hello,

we have some virtual Windows (2012-2016) fileserver vms with a ****load of files.
In the backup jobs for the vms we are using application-aware processing and guest file indexing.
The size of the VeeamGuestIndexer_*-logfile per job run, are over 1GB and the number of logfiles per vm differ.
Our standard size for the Windows system drive are 40GB, in some situations the space on the system drive become very low, with a higher number of such big logfiles. The first workaround was to enable compression for the %systemdrive%\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup-folder.
This helps a lot, but is there a way, registry value or something, to set a fix value for the number of the VeeamGuestIndexer_*-logfiles?!

Thanks!

Regards, Sebastian
Alex Uryumtsev
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Alexander Uryumtsev

Re: log options for VeeamGuestIndexer

Post by Alex Uryumtsev »

Hi Sebastian,

What is your retention for index data? You can check it in Enterprise Manager under following path: Configuration > Settings > Guest File System Catalog.

The default retention policy is 3 month so this might be too much for your instance. Hence one way to clear up space is to delete some logfiles(for the earliest 2 months) and change the retention.

By the way what type of Veeam B&R license do you have?

BR,
Alex
soehl
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Sebastian

Post by soehl »

Hi Alex,

thank you for the reply. We are on Veeam B&R Enterprise Plus and the retention policy is 2 month.
It is a little strange that the logfile count depends from the retention policy for the Guest File System Catalog.
We don´t really need the logfiles for actions that are 2 months old.
I was hoping that there would be an setting for the retention, like the logfile related registry settings for the Veeam backup server.
Maybe there is a way, that in future versions of Veeam B&R the retention for this type logfiles are an option?!

Today, it seems we must utilized the NTFS compresion or in the worst case a symbolic link to another drive for the systemdrive%\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup-folder.

From the Veeam Enterprise Manager
By default, guest files system catalog only keeps data for backups currently on disk. With Standard Edition, guest file system catalog only keeps data for backups currently present in backup repositories. With Enterprise Edition, catalog is also kept for archived backups according to the set retention period.
Is there a way that Enterprise Edition have the same behaviour like the Standard Edition?! We don´t archived backups outside from Veeam.

Thanks again and best Regards.
Sebastian
Alex Uryumtsev
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Alexander Uryumtsev

Post by Alex Uryumtsev »

I was hoping that there would be an setting for the retention, like the logfile related registry settings for the Veeam backup server.
I have made an internal research. The files you see are log files created by Guest processing service. Those files contain information about the service work: states of processes, errors, etc.

Those files are not indexing files, and therefore are not controlled by the specified indexing retention period.

It is strange, though, that some of your logfiles are 1 GB in size. I suggest you to contact our support team to figure out the root cause of your problem.

Once you open a case with our support team, please provide me your ticket number so I can check your progress.
Is there a way that Enterprise Edition have the same behaviour like the Standard Edition?! We don´t archived backups outside from Veeam.
If you're not archiving your backups using backup copy or backup to tape job, this option is not applied.