Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
petben
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Pete Benn

Logging into Veeam

Post by petben »

Hello, when I log in Veeam B&R v11, it auto logs in as Domain Administrator. I must have set this up, but now feel I should have a dedicated network account for Veeam log in with a super complex password. How can I forget this remembered login and make it use another?

One forum I read implied that domain admin will always be able to log into Veeam.
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: Logging into Veeam

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Pete,

Does it help to open All Programs > Veeam > Veeam Backup & Replication Console, uncheck the "Use Windows session authentication" checkbox and type in the new user credentials? All details are described here.
This article also describes the way to create a shortcut for your connection, maybe it's the setting you've used before.

Thanks!
petben
Novice
Full Name: Pete Benn

Post by petben »

Thanks I have unchecked the login with windows credentials but as it states:

"The user account must be added to the Local Users group on the backup server or a group of domain users who have access to the backup server."

so that implies domain admin accounts will always have access.
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Pete,

Ok, now I understand what the problem is, but now confused about what exactly you are trying to configure. Are you trying to restrict access for the domain accounts?
And yes, the user you are working with should be at least added to the group of domain users who have access to the backup server.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

petben wrote: Oct 14, 2021 10:42 amso that implies domain admin accounts will always have access.
Not if you remove Domain Admins group from the Local Administrators group's membership on the backup server.
ecorec
Influencer
Full Name: Valerio Vanni

Post by ecorec »

But I would be careful before taking such a step, it could impact other administrative activities.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 4 people like this post

It shouldn‘t be an issue on the backup server. There isn‘t much to administer on it.
If the backup server is in the production domain, remove it from the domain. It should not be a domain member of the production domain. Create some local admins.

I never logon directly to my backup server. It is enough to use a vbr console from a client to log in remotely for most of the tasks. RDP can be disabled.

The backup server should be on of your most protected server, because it is the life insurance of your company :)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software