infused
Service Provider
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Hayden Kirk

Looking for new storage architecture

Post by infused »

Hi Guys.

Just to give you some background on our setup:

3 servers, ibm x3650 m4s, sas connected san through sas switches, 12bay qnap, gigabit networking

Our veeam server is on a seperate server outside of these 3 hosts.

We currently get about 30-40mb/s doing backups. We want to get this to at-least 100mb/s.

As I understand it, there is some way of putting veeam on to the hosts that are currently having their vm's backed up, so that veeam read directly from the vmware storage? Is there any information on this?

Also, we were looking at moving to some type of jbod storage for backups. Something that runs Microsoft storage spaces. Does anyone have recommendations for our type of setup?
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Looking for new storage architecture

Post by dellock6 »

Hi Hayden,
before any consideration, it would be better to check backup performances, mainly the bottleneck statistics. It the target stated as the primary bottleneck? If so, then yes an upgrade to the backup storage makes sense, but if the bottleneck is somewhere else there's little value in improving it.
If it's th target, than I would go for direct san mode, since you already have a physical veeam server, if it's connected to the same sas fabric then it should be able to access the shared storage directly via sas and leverage direct mode.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
infused
Service Provider
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Hayden Kirk

Post by infused »

The backup target is only of concern now because of its limited space (being a nas on network). However, currently the Veeam server is on a physical box with no direct access to the san.

I guess I would be better then to move veeam on to one of the hosts to access the san directly?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hayden, you can assign the proxy server role to VMs running on the hosts to enable hotadd transport mode for data retrieval. However, again, you'd better take a look at the bottleneck stats first, to be sure whether this improves the entire job performance.