Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Mail deleted between backups

Post by Gostev »

homerjnick wrote:I'm more interested in making it easier for my first line support to restore items for end-users. I want a quick way for support to be able to search through Veeam for an email and restore it. Our end users will sometimes request an email be restored and they will only have a vague recollection as to when the email was received/deleted and it is beyond the Deleted Item Cache retention.
We will have something like this in v8 for your first line support to use, and this will not require indexing or search. Basically, it is a web portal where your help desk operators will be able to initiate recovery of different types of mailbox items (email, calendar, contacts) which were created or received since certain moment and are currently missing from production mailbox, back into the production mailbox.

More importantly, help desk operators will not be able to actually see any of the restored items. Many customers expressed to us that Veeam Explorer for Exchange is almost too powerful, because it basically allows help desk operators to browse CEO mailbox in backup. Due to that, our customers could not really delegate mail item recoveries to those low level folks, and had to handle restores themselves. So, our primary goal was to address this concern, and enable you to delegate item restore to help desk operators in a secure manner.
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Post by homerjnick »

So if a user deletes an email...waits 3 months and then decides they need back into their production mailbox will my first line support be able to use this web portal to restore that item without having to find which backup it is on?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Correct, although this is not a primary scenario for this functionality. When you lost something very long time ago, the better idea might be to do an advanced search in the main UI, especially if the user is important and has heavy email traffic. Web portal will work too, of course - your first line of support engineer will need to pick 3 month old Exchange backup as the restore point, and we will restore all the missing item back to the production mailbox - but in that case, you are basically offloading the "search" for the lost item to the user itself. They will need to find the required email, and delete again everything else they no longer need. Good enough for some developer or finance guy, but your CEO might not appreciate this extra work ;)

Primary scenarios for the web portal are those kind of more common calls your support is probably getting on daily basis:
- I did something and now my Inbox is empty!
- Help! All my calendar items for this week are gone!
- I've got this email last week and cannot find it any longer.
- I synced my new phone and now all of my contacts are gone!
- etc.
mrt
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by mrt »

so is veeam currently able to restore from Exchange dumpsters? if so, in what version did this start? I've searched the release notes but can find no mention of this. Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Starting v8 > What's New in v8
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Post by homerjnick »

To be honest we ditched CommVault and only use Veeam to backup everything and we relied on Veeam for Exchange restores but in being honest whilst the functionality is there and it works I don't think Veeam have designed it as a primary method of restoring emails as it is quite cumbersome...it can take a while for the restoring of mount points of a big Exchange server no matter the underlying storage and via the Exchange Explorer it mounts all databases not just the one you want.

You also have to choose the right backup file, what if your user doesn't know the date of the email?

And if you only use Veeam to store your Exchange backups for email backup that will consume a lot of space.

We purchased a separate email archiving solution (Exclaimer) and for its price is excellent and easy with keyword searches and this is used by first line support for generic and simple email requests...we of course still backup and replicate our Exchange servers but we primarily do not rely on Veeam as a primary way to restore emails.

I don't think Veeam centers on that, they protect the VM very well and can dip into AD, Sharepoint, SQL and Exchange but there are better ways to do it.