Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TeamInd
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chris Rendall

Managed Service Account

Post by TeamInd » 3 people like this post

Currently the Veeam Backup Service is using a domain admin account. Is it possible to use managed service accounts for the Log On User? The service doesn't start when I try to use a MSA.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Managed Service Account

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Chris, do you have any errors in the Windows Event log for this? Does this account have access to SQL Server hosting Veeam database?
TeamInd
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chris Rendall

Post by TeamInd »

I did not setup the MSA account to have access to the SQL database. I've configured that and the backup service is now using the MSA account I configured.

I couldn't get the Catalog Data Service to start using the same MSA account. The event viewer had a message that it couldn't delete the file C:\VBRCatalog\Publications\CommitQueue\state.txt. I added the MSA account I created to the local admin group and then I was able to start the Catalog Data Service with the MSA account.

Is it secure to add the MSA account to the local admin user group? I tried adding the MSA account to the permissions for the C:\VBRCatalog folder to have read/write ability but I got an error that the name wasn't found.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Chris, I believe adding any account to a local admin group is safe assuming that access to this account will be granted to people that know that they are doing.