Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

manual backups shorten archive length?

Post by ejenner »

Not sure if the title is the right way to explain it.

For my setup I've started with an initial setting of 14 restore points (I think that's the default?) and then schedule the job to run overnight.

With this configuration I will get 14 days worth of backup for that server.

Now, if I have problems with the backup and run it manually a few times during the day while trying to resolve the problems am I shortening the length of the archive I'm keeping?

Say I manually run the backup 5 times on a given day. Does that push the last 5 restore points out of the system and reduce my recoverable versions to 9 days worth?

I guess it's not a problem for a new implementation when you're setting up new jobs and ironing out the bugs. But if you did the same thing on a mature backup job are you shaving time off the length of your archive each time you manually instigate a backup?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: manual backups shorten archive length?

Post by DGrinev »

Hey,

It depends on the backup method you've chosen and also on how you run it manually (active full or quick backup). Thanks!
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Post by ejenner »

default method. i.e. not changed from standard. And manually by clicking the start button (not active full)
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

The manual start of backup job will run a regular job session that produces a new restore point in the backup chain.
If we're talking about the Forward incremental method, then the manual run will not cut RPs immediately, but will do it a bit later.

I.e. you have 14 RPs which are the first full (VBK) with 6 increments (VIBs) and the second full followed by 6 increments. The retention policy will not remove any RPs till you get another 7 RPs (full + increments) because Forward incremental retention is removing the whole 7 days chain at once, always retaining 14 RPs available for restore. Thanks!