Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
AntonZ
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Anton

Manually move full backups from VM copy job folder -how bad?

Post by AntonZ »

Hi guys,
due to some problems with free space I will have to move full backup vbk files from the chain of vm copy job to different storage.
I tested and figured out that if I leave the newest vbk full backup file in the folder along with all incrementals, but move out all other older vbk full backup files to different place, veeam will still be able to process the job. I got warnings about missing pieces, veeam created faked vbk-s (31,584,256 bytes in size) with the needed names in chain and successfully finished the job with a new increment and a new vbk full backup file (weekly backup in my case).
I tried to restore files from that vbk (imported it manually) and it was a success.

So I guess the job will still be operational. Please, confirm it, as I don't want to get any corrupted files.

*of course, I'll lose the ability to recover any files from that moved fulls from the GUI of this job, but it's okay - I can do it manually.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Manually move full backups from VM copy job folder -how

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Anton,
It is safe. You can even add the repository containing the moved backup files to the VBR server, rescan it and implement restores using Veeam Server`s UI.
Thanks!
AntonZ
Influencer

Post by AntonZ »

Hi!
So the question was about GFS job. Will the job fail if I move ALL fulls out of the folder?
I expect it should fail.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, it will fail. Latest full may stay.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Also, here is the thing: you can move Full backups or backup chains(.vbk+.vibs/.vrbs) and restore from them, however if you move all Full backups, as you stated, it will be impossible to restore from those incrementals left on the original storage. And as Gostev mentioned above the next run of the backup job will fail. Thanks.
AntonZ
Influencer

Post by AntonZ »

Cool. That's all I wanted to know.
Thanks.