Maximum Forever Forward Restore Points?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Maximum Forever Forward Restore Points?

Veeam Logoby ferrus » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:08 am

We have a split strategy backup solution:
Tier 1 DAS storage, is simply a 30 day Forever Forward Incremental strategy, with no scheduled/synthetic fulls.
Tier 2 DataDomain, is GFS, 7 days, 4 weeks, 24 months - which merge into fulls on the device.

We have a bit more storage now, and the possibility to reduce the frequency of some backups and increase the frequency of others.

So my question is - what's the maximum safe number of Incremental Restore Points, in a Forever Forward chain?
I'm sure the recommendation for v8 was 30, I also thought I read it had increased in v9 - but I can't find links to either.

I'd like to be able to increase the number of RPs during the day, but still keep the same number of days.
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 20 times

Re: Maximum Forever Forward Restore Points?

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:45 am

Provided you're testing your backups and perform health checks, you can have virtually any number of restore points in a forever forward backup chain. Just consider some performance overhead in case of restore from the most recent points in case of a very long backup chain.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1078 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby ferrus » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:01 am

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted.

Reading up on some of the linked threads - I didn't realise SureBackup was the recommendation, to reduce the frequency, or remove altogether Active Fulls - but I'm glad to hear it.
Having regular Full backups, Active or Synthetic - always seemed to neutralise the benefits of Forever Forward IMO. This should work much better.

Now I just have to work out the restore performance penalty ...
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 20 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:08 am

You can increase the frequency/number of restore points to the desired value and, when retention reaches it, perform test restores from the oldest and most recent restore points in the chain, to see whether the effect is noticeable in your particular environment.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1078 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication