Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lando_uk
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Mark

Memory issues at the weekend

Post by lando_uk »

Hi

Our VBR server that is also a proxy and repository crashed with some memory errors this weekend. It's the first time this has happened, nothing has changed from other weekends, but this one is a end of month where we do some copy jobs health checks what I enabled a couple of months ago due to disk issues.

This physical server has 40GB RAM and a 30GB Pagefile. On the docs, if the server has all 3 roles, it says it needs 10GB for each concurrent task. so it looks like the health checks along with the normal backups broke it. Does it need more RAM or will just increasing the pagefile sort this out?

Thanks
Mark
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Memory issues at the weekend

Post by foggy »

Mark, how many jobs/tasks were running at the moment the server crashed? Indeed, you need to make sure the server has sufficient amount of RAM to accommodate all the roles and be able to serve each task assigned to it.
lando_uk
Veteran

Post by lando_uk »

Normally only 2 concurrent backup jobs runs, but with the copy jobs doing their health checks which take all weekend, there may have been 8 jobs running.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can spread the health checks for different jobs over different weekends to avoid them from being triggered at once at the end of month.
lando_uk
Veteran

Post by lando_uk »

I thought I did, but I shall revisit the settings to make sure.

I have some spare dimms for these servers, so its no big deal. Looking at the memory usage on Veeam One, its always topped out at the weekends for the last few months, maybe I'll just use whatever spares I have until it never goes to 100% again.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can also limit the number of concurrent tasks for repository server to control the load.
lando_uk
Veteran

Post by lando_uk » 1 person likes this post

Just an update. I upgraded our VBR server from 40GB to 70GB and it has shaved a few hours from the weekend synthetic full's, According to VeeamOne, server memory now peaks at about 60GB during the busiest period.