Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mickelingon
Novice
Liked: never

Memory settings

Post by mickelingon »

Hi

Has anyone changed their registry settings for PagedPoolSize and PoolUsageMaximum on their win 2008 server in order to not reach so high kernelmemory Paged-Pool when running Veeam backups?
What value have you used?
Is it improving performance?

Mikael
JP301
Lurker

Re: Memory settings

Post by JP301 »

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but we are experiencing this exact issue too. It seemed better to post here instead of creating a new thread :)

We have been informed by Veeam support (Issue ID#5138029) that this is a Microsoft issue and to chase up with them (which i'm more than happy to do, just wanted to ask the community if they have experienced the issue and have a suitable resolve).

We are running Veeam 5.0.2 B&R in a VM running server 2008 x64 datacenter. VM has 4vCPU and 4GB RAM, DB is SQLExpress on local VM. We are running ESXi servers spec'd as: HP DL160 G6's with 36GB RAM and 2 Quad core Xeon CPU's; backup target is iSCSI LUN (SATA II tray) on EMC CX4 SAN. Resources available for VM use, is certainly not exhausted.

The error is only intermittent, and is as follows:

--
Initializing target session
TextFromTar failed
Client error: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service
Failed to read data from the file [D:\Equinix Daily VM Backup2011-07-01T180035.vbk].
Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://Tar2Text]. CHMOD mask: [2010656216].
--

In respect to the OP, I believe the article they are referring from is: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304101

If anyone can provide any information or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Jeff,

The issue you experience doesn't directly apply to OP's question. I do not have a definite answer whether adjusting those registry keys helps to improve the backup server performance or not, but for your issue you should try to follow the instructions provided in the Microsoft KB article above.

By the way, here is an existing topic for this issue: Insufficient Resources

I will merge your post with that topic later.

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

That support KB article does not apply to Windows 2008 though.
JP301
Lurker

Post by JP301 »

Gostev wrote:That support KB article does not apply to Windows 2008 though.
Veeam support said to follow the article which is why I am questioning it.

I can't seem to find any clear answer in Microsoft KB articles relating to Server2008 (or google for that matter).

Thanks for the link Vitaliy but I didn't notice anyone posting a resolution.

Someone has to have experienced this issue before surely! :?

PS: This forum has been a great source of information so far. It's just this issue that is really bugging me! Thanks again :)
ashleyw
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ashley Watson

Post by ashleyw »

Hi, On one of our largest jobs, we got this failure message twice during a weekly rollup process (on windows 2008R2 host) - the third retry went through successfully)
Creating synthetic full backup
CompileFIB failed
Client error: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service
Failed to read data from the file [\\w.x.y.z\BackupVolume_backupstore\backups\Clients_A-E_D2011-10-29T132808.vbk].

I have increased the appliances memory in the hope we don't hit the issue next weekend - but can anyone confirm what the solution is for windows 2008R2? When ever we have a failure like this, it seems to be about 5 hours into the roll up process. When this job goes through it takes around 7 hours for the rollup process.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ashley,

Based on the information from the topic below, this issue might be related to storage I/O problems and increasing appliances memory might not help: Veeam on windows 2008

By the way what is the destination target for your backup job?

Thanks!
ashleyw
Service Provider

Post by ashleyw »

thanks, our backup target is NexentaStor. Our engines have access to the NexentaStor storage via a dedicated 10Gb/s network. We present the backup target as CIFS. I don't see anything on our storage logs to indicate this is an issue with the storage device itself. I'll try and get some stats out (I tried to get some stats out of Veeam Monitor - but this is broken - we apparently need a hotfix to fix the console stuck in "initialising" - sigh!) this weekend.

To me everything is pointing to the fact that while this job is no larger than most of our others, it has a significant amount of block changes and I suspect the sum of all the changes and the previous full backup file caused something at the Veeam/Win2k8R2 layer to break.

cheers
Ashley
ashleyw
Service Provider

Post by ashleyw »

Hi, After changing the RAM on each appliance (we run two appliances) from 4GB to 8GB per engine all weekly synthetic full backups completed first time without any issues or retries (the first time in a long while)

We are looking forward to v6 to see how we can architect our backups differently to get faster throughput. Is this still looking like a November release?

cheers
Ashley
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi Ashley, curious what is consuming so much RAM on your backup servers, did you do any research on top memory consuming processes? The official statement on v6 release date is still "Q4" at this time. Thanks.