Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dib
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Merge multiple BackupCopy jobs to one job

Post by dib »

Hi

I'm trying to find a way to merge my existing 3 backup copy jobs into one backup copy job, but can't find any guide for that.

I have tried to map backup on backupcopy1 job to backupcopyjob2, but then backupcopyjob1 looses it's connection to its original backup jobs. So backupcopyjob1 original files can then be found in the Disk (imported) location.

I can't seem to find a way to merge 3 jobs (backup copy files) into one job and keep the backup chain for the backup copy.

Hope someone can help, and that there is an option for doing this, so I don't have to copy the full again. :?

/Dennis
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Merge multiple BackupCopy jobs to one job

Post by veremin »

Are those jobs pointed to the same repository? If so, create a new backup copy job, point it to a different repository, for this job, select the VMs from infrastructure (the very same VMs that are selected as source objects in existing backup copy jobs) and specify the backup repository holding the primary backup copy restore points as the source. More information can be found here (see "backup copy from backup copy" section). Thanks.
dib
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by dib »

Yes all jobs are pointed to a ScaleOut repository. I don't have the opportunity to add another repository. But this solution, will it not give me 4 backupcopy jobs?

/dennis
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can create a new repository pointing to just another folder on any of the existing storages and temporarily point the new backup copy job to it, adding VMs from all 3 old jobs. Once you have a new chain, you can move it to the scale out repository, create another backup copy job having backup jobs as a source and map it to the new chain. Old jobs can be deleted after that.
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 43 times

Post by ferrus »

I'm in a similar situation - but the repository is a DataDomain.

The BCJs were from the same source job, but when it was moved to a different DD gateway server, it split the job.
So I now have 11 restore point from the job using repository DD2500_via_Veeam1, and 10 from the same job using repo DD2500_via_Veeam2

Is it possible to merge these without many backend changes?

All the .vbk and .vib files are visible - together within the same folder, via the Files tab in the console, and there's only one .vbm file.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

So ow you have two separate backup copy chains in a single folder, right? You cannot merge them into a single chain so just wait until the latest chain reaches the required number of restore points and remove the older one.