Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BoricuaTec
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Luis Rodriguez

Re: Merging oldest incremental Backup is painfully slow with

Post by BoricuaTec »

We are seeing long merges via Backup Copy Jobs to a Cloud Connect target. I am wondering if this is the same issue as I am seeing.. Oddly talking to support we found out that the log for the job on the B&R side shows progress but the progress in the GUI does not update. GUI issue? This should get fixed.... Spent countless hours and looking around.....
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Luis, could you please share the case ID?
BoricuaTec
Service Provider

Post by BoricuaTec »

andreasaster wrote:Got a feedback from Veeam today, they said, they found the root cause of the problem. I will have a phone call with them tomorrow to discuss the problem. I will update you then.

Andreas
Hello Andreas, any feedback on this?
BoricuaTec
Service Provider

Post by BoricuaTec »

foggy wrote:Luis, could you please share the case ID?
Here is the case number(Case # 01030241)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I was not able to find any information about the GUI issue you're mentioning in the case notes, could you please describe it in a bit more detail? Thanks.
dbtheg
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by dbtheg »

First post, be gentle.

I found a solution to this problem in my environment - it was a simple configuration issue. The copy job target is a remote site, so I'd set the remote repository bandwidth limit to a number smaller than the bandwidth between sites. Unknown to me the remote proxy uses that number to throttle the connection to the target storage as well. So, the locally connected target proxy/storage was limited to the max bandwidth limit of the repository. I removed the limit and configured network traffic rules instead, performance went from extremely poor to quite acceptable.

CPU usage on the proxy went from barely a trickle (1-3%) to 20-30+%. Network is also maxed out.
dlieshout@client.nl
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: DaLi

Post by dlieshout@client.nl »

Any update on this case. I also have the problem of very slow merging of oldest restore point.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

It's better to contact support with every particular case, since the reasons of the slow merge vary from one environment to another. Also, makes sense to update to v9 to verify the performance (if you haven't yet), since it has some improvements in this area.
ckent
Enthusiast

Post by ckent »

Just jumping in at the end of this tread.
v9
backup copy to cloud connect.
backup runs at pretty much the full speed of our connection.
We are currently 32 hours into job and its at 17% of creating GFS restore point, during which time no backups have made it off site.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Alternatively, you can make a backup copy job create GFS restore point by reading entire restore point from source backup instead of synthesizing it from increments. Though, that would result in increased traffic for sure. Thanks.
ckent
Enthusiast

Post by ckent »

thats supposed to help how ?

the job has been running 41 hours and is at 18%
at this rate we are looking at 10% ever 24 hours or 5 days to create a reastore point.
during which time no offsite backups are happening ?

dosnt this sort of make the point of could connect a waste of time ?

i have a support ticket open for 5 hours with no responce.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It might happen that target repository provided by SP cannot cope with synthetic activity well, thus, my recommendations about making active full backup instead.

Anyway, for now that's nothing but a speculation, so let's wait and see what support team find after logs' investigation.

Thanks.
Morgenstern72
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Joachim

Post by Morgenstern72 »

Similar problem here with v9 Update 1
Case 01751732

Our incremental backups started with 4 hours, now we are at 18 hours with almost the same VMs. For only 450GB transfered data (750 read, 7,7TB processed) the job still runs at 99% and "merging oldest incremental backup".
Bottlneck is "source", which is impossible: high performance 3PAR (4xFibreChannel). The target is an older IBM SAN, connected with 2xFibre Channel and capable of up to 400MByte/sec
Backupserver has 30% CPU, backupproxy (=repository) has 0% CPU....something is strange.

Comparison: single VM with a huge 13,5TB disk
Total incremental backup takes 40 minutes(!) compared to >18 hours(!!) of the other job!

Let's wait what support says.
justyjusty123
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Christoph Leitl

Post by justyjusty123 »

Hello Morgenstern72,

Since i had I similar problem I'd be interested in the findings after you have dealt with support. From what I read, you are experiencing lack of random iops on the target storage, resulting in long merge windows. This could be avoided by configuring additional weekly fulls (in other words, switch from fwd incremental forever to fwd incremental). At least, that's my conclusion.

(Why is the merge heavily random? Because it reads the backup from the same disks it writes to. If you look at the backups you will see that the merge starts after all backups have been read and a restore point has been created. So even if you interrupt the backup during the merge, you will be able to restore from restore point of that day).

Does the "older IBM SAN" support write caching (merge is about random ios, not sequential)?

So I'd be interested, please keep me updated. Have you considered switching back to weekly active fulls?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

All, as per subject this thread is for v8, so please direct all v9 reports into the dedicated topic. There have been major changes between v8 and v9 in the transform engine, which was heavily optimized to remove bottlenecks around metadata processing, and now transform performance should be dependent strictly on backup repository IOPS capacity. Thanks!