Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
eduesterhaus
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Microsoft's policy on using Veeam to back up Exchange 2010

Post by eduesterhaus »

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently looking to back up my Exchange 2010 servers with Veeam using the application aware processing, as well as backing up MSSQL with Veeam. I'm well aware that Veeam touts the ability to do this. What I can't seem to find out is if Microsoft is OK with this.

Unfortunately, after searching for answers from Microsoft's knowledgebase on if this is supported, as well as contacting Veeam support, I can't seem to find a definite answer on Microsoft's policy.

The closest answer I've found is in a Microsoft knowledge base article on Exchange 2013: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... .150).aspx

The article indicates:
"To back up and restore Exchange 2013, you must use an Exchange-aware application that supports the VSS writer for Exchange 2013, such as Windows Server Backup (with the VSS plug-in), Microsoft System Center 2012 - Data Protection Manager, or a third-party Exchange-aware VSS-based application."

To me, Veeam would meet this requirement... but this article is for Exchange 2013 specifically.

Does anyone know if Microsoft's support policy allows for Exchange 2010 backups with Veeam?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Microsoft's policy on using Veeam to back up Exchange 20

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,

If you're using Veeam application-aware image processing option, then your Exchange Server will be in consistent state, because we will use VSS. Veeam is in fact "an Exchange-aware application that supports the VSS writer for Exchange 2013" (and Exchange 2010, for that matter).

Please read these existing forum posts regarding Microsoft support of such backups > SharePoint and SQL Snapshot backups and Microsoft Support

Hope this helps!