Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
OliverSydow
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Oliver Sydow

Migrate from weekly full backup to GFS strategy

Post by OliverSydow »

Hi,
this is a more general question, i did not find a better place to post it...

We have a new customer, using Veeam B&R 9.5 U4 and we want to change the backup strategy they are using. By now, they use Veeam just to back up a single Database server. Its a very old DB, a kind of Dbase ... and its quite big. Backups started in May 2019 with a automatic full backup every Saturday and incremental all other days. The actual size of a full backup is about 4 TB ... Retention time is unlimited.

So we have nearly 50 full backups on the repository with more than 160 TB used space. If we go on as before, we need more and more disk space, and we think there are better ways of backup.

We want to chnage the strategy to GFS ... with 4 weekly backups, 12 monthly and some yearly backups. The old job is running well and I am sure it would be easy to create a new job with our new specs. But our goal ist to integrate the old backups in our new strategy. We want to keep 1 monthly backup for each month from the "old" backups and integrate them into our new (or modified) job.

My question... is it possible to modify the existing job or to create a new one ? It is a must to keep monthly backups from the existing job.
Any idea / help is appreciated...

Oliver
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Migrate from weekly full backup to GFS strategy

Post by foggy »

Hi Oliver, you cannot transform existing backups into GFS scheme. You can create the new job with the required settings and retain existing backups manually (just delete unneeded backups from the chain and keep the rest until the new job reaches the required number of new monthly backups). Thanks!