Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Taylor B.

Migrate Server role to different server

Post by TaylorB »

I have 3 Physical VBR Servers all with large internal SAS storage

Server 1: Main Server role with local SQL Express, Proxy, Repository roles
Server 2: Tape Server, Proxy, Repository roles
Server 3: New Server

Server 1 is being phased out and I want to move the main server role and SQL express to Server 3.

I read KB1889 about migrating, but step 3 for new server says:

"Make sure all local drives that were being used as repositories on the old server are now attached with the same drive letters on the new server."

But, I don't want to move the repositories or backup files to the new server. These are on local disks that are not compatible with the new server, and copying would take about a week (~ 100TB). I think I just want to move config and start new backup chains on new repository. Then leave Server 1 alone until all the backups age out and then I will get rid of it.

If I just skip step 3 about moving old drives/repositories, will I just need to re-configure all jobs to point to the new repository and then perform an active full to restart the chains? This will only impact 5 jobs so it isn't a problem to do some manual configuration.

Or is there a better way to do this?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Migrate Server role to different server

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yep, skip that step and start new backup chains on the new server. When you try to reconfigure the 5 jobs, it will tell you that "backup files are missing". If you remove the backups from configuration (in "backups -> disk" section), then you can start a new backup chain on the new server.

Best regards,
Hannes
erwanns
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Erwann SIMON

Post by erwanns »

Hello,

I'm trying to perform a quite similar operation.

I currently have a server, let's call him server1, who has all the major components : backup server, backup proxy and backup repository (simple deployment model).
I want to move the backup server role only to a new server, let's call him server2, but I want to keep the other roles (backup proxy and backup repository) on server1.

Proxy and repository are configured using the FQDN of server1 (and not localhost)

The steps I followed where :
- server1 : disabling the jobs
- server1 : backing up the configuration
- server2 : restoring the configuration (migration mode)

After the restoration is complete, proxy and repository are now using the FQDN of server2. So I will need to :
- add server1 as managed server
- configure a backup proxy on server1
- configure a "new" repositoy on server1 pointing the existing directory where the backup files are.
- update all the jobs to point to this "new" repository
- delete the "fake" repository from server2
- rescan the "new" respository

Note : It's exactly the same if server2 has been added as a managed server on server1 before the configuration is backup up.

Any other ideas ?

Thanks !
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Erwann, the procedure looks fine, just make sure existing backups are imported during the repository creation process (check box at the last step of the wizard) and rescan at the end would not be required.
erwanns
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Erwann SIMON

Post by erwanns »

Hi Alexander,
Thanks for the confirmation and advice. I did this move following the proposed scenario and following your advice regarding the repository rescan. The process was seamless and it works like a charm.
PS : I'd like to have an option such as keep existing roles in place, just restore/migrate the server role, in order to avoid to be required perform all of this changes when restoring the configuration.

Next question : What software components can I have to unistall on the source server which has "lost" its backup server role but that is still proxy and repository.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

If you had uninstalled Veeam B&R from the server1 prior adding it to server2 as a managed server, you wouldn't need to do anything else. Provided you hadn't done this and would like to perform cleanup, you could do it now and then right-click that server under Backup Infrastructure on your current installation, click Properties and go through the wizard to install the necessary components again. Or you can simply leave it as is just making sure that all activities on the first Veeam B&R instance are disabled.