Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sagelike
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Glenn Taylor

Migrate Veeam B & R to new server

Post by sagelike »

Hi there,

I need to migrate Veeam B&R to a new server and I was thinking of using VMWare Converter to:

- migrate the boot disk which should be fast and reliable using VMWare Converter. Boot disk is only 150GB.
- Recreate the backup repositories exactly as they were on old servers
- FTP backups from old to new server with filezilla server. This will take a lot of time even with a local connection.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Thanks
G
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Migrate Veeam B & R to new server

Post by Mildur »

Hi Glenn

Are you trying to migrate Veeam B&R from a physical machine to another ESXI host?
The supported way to migrate your backup server would be:
- Install a new windows VM
- Install Veeam Backup & Replication
- Migrate the configuration with the help of the configuration restore: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... grate.html

The backup data can be migrated with any method. File Copy, FTP, Disk clone, ....:
https://www.veeam.com/kb1729?ad=in-text-link

Your plan should also work. As far as I remember VMWare Converter, you can do a pre-sync of all disks and then on the day you want to switch over to the new machine you can only do a final synchronization. FTP wouldn't be needed in that case.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
sagelike
Influencer

Post by sagelike »

My current B&R is an ESXi VM so I would rather just migrate the entire server using VMWare Converter if possible.

I then then get a perfect copy with no re-config needed. Is there any reason why I can't do this?

Also, can I run both instances concurrently for a day or two on the same license?

Thanks
G
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Yes, you can use VmWare Converter.
I recommend using the converter as standalone. Meaning installed in the VBR server and syncing all disks (backup and OS) to the new location.
On the day you want to switchover, do the final sync with all Veeam services stopped. Then power down the old VM and power on the new VM.
There is no need to run two VMs parallel in that case. and the downtime is short.
https://docs.vmware.com/en/vCenter-Conv ... 6BBAB.html
Also, can I run both instances concurrently for a day or two on the same license?
Running machines with the same IP, Hostname, SID and Backup Services is technically not possible. You need to change the IP address and probably hostname on one of the two VMs. Also disable all Veeam services on the old machine while you are copying the backup files over. If you copy the files and new files are written or deleted, your chain may become corrupted.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
sagelike
Influencer

Post by sagelike »

Perfect. Thanks for your help Fabian!

It's doubtful I can sync the backup disks as well. I've tried that before and it always fails when trying to sync massive backup disks with a different drive letter so I will just migrate boot, recreate the drives and sync via ftp. I will try however.