Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
blde99
Novice
Liked: never

Migrate Veeam Backup Server role leaving the repository as is

Post by blde99 »

Hi All,

I have a VBR 11 server (built on Windows Server 2012 R2) which is also a backup repository. Other roles, such as Enterprise Manager have already been migrated from this server.
I want to migrate the backup server role to a new VM that I have built but I want to leave the backup repository where it is.
The reason for this is that we have ordered a new server which will eventually have linux installed that will be used as a dedicated backup repository and the existing server will be decommissioned after migrating the backup jobs to this new backup repository.
The current VBR server has also been added to Enterprise Manager for the purposes of license distribution.

Starting point:
ServerA - Backup server & backup repository

Desired Result:
ServerA - Backup repository
ServerB - Backup server

I will use this guide (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/archive/ba ... grate.html) to perform the migration, but I have a follow up question:
How do I stop the old VBR server from performing and VBR server functions post migration to avoid any conflicts? Do I need to uninstall any components or disable any services?

Thanks for any help you can provide

Matt
Origin 2000
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times

Re: Migrate Veeam Backup Server role leaving the repository as is

Post by Origin 2000 »

Disable the Jobs, perform the last config backup on the old salt and than import it into the new Host by choosing the migrate feature.

Keep in mind than with v11 config backup you cant migrate from MSSQL to PGSQL. Consider to upgrade the old 11 to 12 first if you would like to switch to PGSQL.

Regards,
Joerg
blde99
Novice

Post by blde99 »

Thanks Joerg, for your reply.

I am happy with MSSQL as my config database.

My question still remains though, how does ServerA know that post migration, it is only a backup repository and not longer the backup server?
As far as I can tell, if I don't do anything after I've performed the migration, I will have two servers trying to control the backups.

Regards,

Matt
Origin 2000
Service Provider

Post by Origin 2000 »

Because you have disabled the Veeam Jobs it will not perform any action anymore. In most cases our Veeam B&R is never also a Repository one. Because of 2012R2 goes out of support in october you should migrate this role also. Maybe you could re-install your phys. Server as a Veeam Hardened Repository (Linux based) but i see the chicken and egg problem about your existing backup files.

Regards,
Joerg
blde99
Novice

Post by blde99 »

Hi Joerg,

As I said in my original post, we are buying a new server which is intended to be a linux repository to replace the 2012R2 server due toit going out of support in October.

The current physical server that is the existing repository will go away once the linux repository is built and backups have been transferred.

Regards,
Matt
Origin 2000
Service Provider

Post by Origin 2000 »

Ok... than just disable the Veeam jobs and after your new one perform the first run you can also delete them.

We migrate our VBR last week and apply all the best practices.

Regards,
Joerg
blde99
Novice

Post by blde99 »

Hi Joerg,

That's great! Thanks so much for your help.

Regards,
Matt