Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Stupots
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Stuart

Migrating Veeam BR to another domain

Post by Stupots »

I've done a bit of searching and there are a few posts with bits and bobs of information, but is there a good KB, blog post or other that can help guide me through considerations and processes for migrating Veeam (and ideally VMware infrastructure too) from a companies main domain to a secure domain with a one way trust set up? Also, do I have to do a "big bang" approach as far as the Veeam BR server goes, by moving it and hoping my planning has been good and it all works by the evenings backup window or can I build a new server in the other domain and license it there (temporality have both BR servers licensed for a day or so) and get connectivity, accounts and all jobs working on the new server before turning the old one off?

Has anyone that has migrated out of their main domain written a guide?

Thanks, Stu.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Migrating Veeam BR to another domain

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello Stuart

A step by step guide does not exist. But similar question were asked multiple times in the forum.
You can do everything in a big bang, or one component per component.

The steps are easy.
- Make a configuration backup just in case something will not work
- Move all Veeam component servers to the new domain
- Make sure that DNS resolution works in both directions --> production domain <-> backup domain
- Change credentials for all additional Veeam components server

For the AD Trust part, I suggest to ask your AD expert in your organization. But you can still use the credentials from the production domain for the backup. A domain trust wouldn't be required.
Permissions required for Veeam Backup & Replication to work correctly are documented here:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

We also have a new KB which mentions issues you may face when removing your backup server from a domain:
https://www.veeam.com/kb4469

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software