Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Citrus
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Citrus

Migrating VMs to new host - Low Space on Source Datastore

Post by Citrus »

I have two Windows VMs on an ESXi host that I would like to migrate to a new host with more storage.
Before I get started with Veeam Quick Migrator I want to make sure I will not run into any issues.
Both VMs are 400 GB in size and the source datastore only has 50 GB of free space. WIll the low disk space on the source host cause any problems?
I read that the Quick Migration process starts by creating a snapshot and I am afraid I might not have eough space for the snapshot on the source datastore.
Will this be a problem and if so how can I work around it?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Migrating VMs to new host - Low Space on Source Datastor

Post by Shestakov »

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Quick Migration will make a snapshot, but it won`t be bigger than snapshot you take for replication or backup job.
Note that in a case you move a VM between two hosts with non-compatible CPUs, Veeam Backup & Replication will stop the VM, move changes made after snapshot creation, and then start the VM on the new host. So snapshot size will be smaller.

I would also suggest reading this topic for more information.
Thanks!
Citrus
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Citrus

Post by Citrus »

What is the typical size of a snapshot for a replication or backup job?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

There's no typical size. It varies a lot depending on VM's workload (write I/O intensity) and VM size (defines how long the migration takes, snapshot will keep growing storing writes while the migration is being performed). In any case, given your VM sizes and available free disk space I don't expect any issues.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Just a small tip: if you want to see how activly data is being written to your virtual disk of the VM you want to migrate, then check out this Veeam ONE report > VM Change Rate Estimation