More than one Reposistory

Post by gfacek »

Hi,

I have the following Hardware-Szenario:
- 3 ESXi-Hosts with 2 SAN
- 25 virtual Servers
- around 2,5TB Data
- 3 diferent NAS

I can store about 30 restorepoints on each NAS. But I want to use the second and third NAS, too, to maximize the posible restorepoints.

Do anyone know a good solution to use all 3 NAS for one backupjob? My colleague had the idea to split the virtual servers into 3 groups, and store each group distributed (don't know, if its the right word for that) on the 3 NAS. But, if one NAS is hosed, all Backups for the group of virtual Servers are history.
I tried to dislocate the backupfiles manually, but the copy-process taktes around 2-3 days. After that I have to import the backups, and I think, it will be a bit confusing for others.

Is there any other option? Some best practice?

Many Thanks in Advance!
Kind regards, Tobias
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: More than one Reposistory

Post by dellock6 »

Hi Tobias,
all replica operations between NAS are obviously heavily depending on NAS speed itself.
You're colleague is right, his solution is the most practical and easy to deploy. If you can resist for some months, Veeam v7 will have remote copy job functionality, that can help you in optimize replication of backups between different repositories.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Tobias,

Just to make sure I follow you - you would like to use all 3 NAS devices for a single backup job to maximize the number of restore points available or you want to duplicate/copy backup files from one NAS box to another one?

Thanks!
gfacek
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tobias Abellán

Post by gfacek »

Thanks for your replys!

I have now configured three Jobs. One daily job with 30 restorepoints. One monthly job, with 12 restorepoints on the second NAS. And one yearly job 2 restorepoints.

I think, for me its the most practicable variant.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I think, for me its the most practicable variant.
Thanks for coming back and updating the topic with the decision you've made. The plan itself sounds good to me.

Also, it will be possible to address some of the issues related to GFS rotation scheme with the new type of the job called backup copy job that will be introduced in the upcoming VB&R release.