baber
Veteran
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Babak Seyedi nejad

mount server not work correctly

Post by baber »

dear friend
Hi
i read about mount server that config on each backup repository i think it will be used when we get backup from a vm and want restore (FLR) it will be mount all vm data on mount server but now my repository server is :10.10.50.50 and add a new server with ip = 10.10.50.60 when add repository (10.10.50.50) to veeam i select 10.10.50.60 as mount server and select a folder with name FLRtest but now when restore guest file it did not mount any file on 10.10.50.60 why ?

BR
baber
Veteran

Re: mount server not work correctly

Post by baber »

maybe could not understand correct

1- mount server just cross network traffic during restore guest file system or FLR ?
2- actually always vmdk data that we want restore will be mount on backup repository ?

BR
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi BR,

The repository (I assume a windows box) will have a mount server role by default. If you have added the backup repository and then selected a different mount server (see here for the guide: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95) it should choose that server.

When you do a FLR test (and leave the explorer open), is it visible on the .60 server?

Mike
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

thanks Mike

i read that document but want to know mount server functional is such as backup proxy ?
it will be use just for send restore traffic or can use it for a place that can mount backup vm?

BR
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

The mount server is not a backup proxy. When you want to do FLR, what happens is that the backup file needs to be mounted to a staging server (or the original VM for restore to the Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle VMs). So it will not only for sending the restore, but also to mount the backup file.

Makes sense?
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

thanks
but this is my scenario :

i have add a vm to veeam that is in my backup repository and backup proxy now in my backup proxy there is 2 item :

1- 10.10.51.53

2- VMware Backup Proxy

also in my backup repository are same above

1- remote-repository (10.10.51.53)
2- Default Backup Repository

now in Default Backup Repository for mount server i set remote-repository (10.10.51.53) and folder select FLRtest in c: drive and create a new job that set backup repository on Default Backup Repository

now after get backup when i select machine name and select restore guest file a new page has been opened in veeam and can restore my file but problem is the new page that opened i think have to mount files on remote-repository (10.10.51.53)in filder FLRtest but when login to remote-repository (10.10.51.53) there is not anything in FLRtest folder
now do i have to see restore file data in FLRtest folder in remote-repository (10.10.51.53) server?
why mount all of data in Default Backup Repository in a folder C:\VeeamFLR\DNS_eaeee883\Volume1\Users

what is problem?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

I am not sure what the problem is at this point in time. Might be best that you open a support case. Please post the support case ID here and the follow-up (after investigation by our engineers) here also. Could be somewhere a small configuration issue but it could be an issue also. Through the logs our engineers will be able to view what is exactly happening.

Mike
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

thanks

i will be open a ticket but before that want to know duty of mount server that we define in backup repository is :
when we want restore (FLR) all of vmdk data will be mount and show on mount server ?

is that correct ?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Yes, it should be mounted on the mount server.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Initial mount (with the purpose of browsing files during FLR) is performed on the server initiated the restore (backup server or console), while actual restore to original location uses mount either to the backup server or mount server, if it is configured on different server.
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

thanks
is that your means when i click on file yhat show in FLR explorer and select overwrite that file will be mount on my mount server and will be show in that ?

BR
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Correct.
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

1- just overwrite and keep will be use from mount server ?
2- copy to will not work from mount server ?

BR
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Correct, for 'Copy To' local mount is used.