Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
toreml
Expert
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Tore Mejlænder-Larsen

Move repository to new server

Post by toreml »

Hi.

We have two repository servers which we would like to decommision.
They have two repositorys each - one on local disk and one on san.

I was thinking that we could expand the san disk and a evacuate from the local to san disk.

But the question is.

Can this san disk be moved to another server?
There will not be running any backups to this repository - this is only for historical information / restore?

Our should we create a new repository on the new server - and create a scale-out together with the old one - and then do the evacuate?

Regards

Tore ML
JHuston
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jeff Huston

Re: Move repository to new server

Post by JHuston »

I think I understand what you are asking. What hyper visor are you running?

In Vmware, where I have done what you are asking many times, you just remove the disk from the old VM ( DON'T DELETE DISK, JUST REMOVE!!). Then on the new VM, add a disk and select " existing disk" browse the datastore and find the disk. It will attach to your new VM.

I don't see the need to create a scale out repo etc, especially since this is just historical/restore data. That being said, before all of this, make sure you have a good backup of your repository data following the 3-2-1 rule. If something happened during the migration and it's your only copy, you're out of luck...
toreml
Expert
Full Name: Tore Mejlænder-Larsen

Post by toreml »

Hi.

The repository servers are physical - so one of the repositories are on local physical disk and the one are san disk.

Tore
ejfarrar
Novice
Full Name: Eric J. Farrar

Post by ejfarrar »

I am in a similar situation right now - At one of the sites I manage, we have five physical VEEAM proxy servers and each has about half a dozen repositories from the SAN which are part of three large scale-out repositories. One of the five physical proxies has failed and can't be replaced with identical hardware, so I need to move the repositories from it to the other proxies (simple unexport/re-export via SAN). I can't find any other forum posts where this topic is discussed, so I was wondering what the best method of modifying the repositories so that they show up on their new server(s) without corrupting the older backups.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Eric, please review this KB article. This thread should also be helpful.