Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bdoe
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Bryan

Move Veeam to proxy, or rebuild host

Post by bdoe »

I have two physical servers running Veeam, let's call them Veeam-01 and Veeam-02. Both have 16+ cores and 32GB RAM. Veeam-02 has extra storage attached, but is primary a proxy because it has an SAS tape drive connected. Veeam-01 has been a bit slower lately, and has an OS issue or two that may be easier to fix with a rebuild. I've also been having a problem with Linux repositories that I may try resolving by upgrading to 9.5, but again may as well refresh it all.

What I'm wondering is what would be easiest to do. One, I could backup the OS on Veeam-01 with VEB, then rebuild it, restore Veeam, and let it connect to the proxy again. Two, I could install the entire Veeam suite on Veeam-02, restore the configuration there, then wipe Veeam-01 and let it become the proxy. It seems to me that is the simpler way, but I wasn't sure about installing Veeam on it as-is. Would I need to remove the existing components from it first? In either case, should I reinstall the current version, restore the configuration, and then upgrade, or just install 9.5 from the start?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Move Veeam to proxy, or rebuild host

Post by foggy »

Hi Bryan, you can install Veeam B&R v9.5 over existing v9 installation and import v9 configuration to it, no issues with this.
bdoe
Enthusiast

Post by bdoe »

Yeah, I've always upgraded in-place, but what about when the server is being changed?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Veeam B&R can be installed on the server having previous versions of its components installed (components will be upgraded).
bdoe
Enthusiast

Post by bdoe »

Awesome! Should it be removed from the primary server first? And should I install 9.0 on it, import the configuration, then upgrade to 9.5? Or just go straight to 9.5 and import the configuration?

I'm leaning toward upgrading the proxy to primary - much less risky, I can leave -01 alone until I'm happy.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

As I've already mentioned, you can just install Veeam B&R v9.5 on this server, no need to uninstall anything or install v9 first.
bdoe
Enthusiast

Post by bdoe » 2 people like this post

Just wanted to follow up, I went ahead and installed 9.5 on Veeam-02 today, moved the configuration over, and it appears to be working great. I removed everything referring to the original machine from the imported configuration so I'll wipe that one out soon. Thanks!