Moving Backups To DataDomain Boost

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Moving Backups To DataDomain Boost

Veeam Logoby meilicke » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:57 pm

Hello,

What is the best way to move existing backups to a newly created DataDomain Boost enabled repository?

Thanks.
meilicke
Influencer

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Scott Meilicke

Re: Moving Backups To DataDomain Boost

Veeam Logoby meilicke » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:37 pm

I opened a sev. 4 case and will post back when I hear more - # 00673705.
meilicke
Influencer

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Scott Meilicke

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:52 pm

Hi, Scott. I am not hands on with DataDomain, but can you not enable access to the DDBoost storage unit via SMB temporarily, and move your backups there using regular file copy? Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby jj281 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:39 pm

I haven't done this from mtree to DDBoost enabled Mtree, but you should be able to do a Data Domain fastcopy (from DD, filesys fastcopy) to quickly copy your data over to the DDBoost SU/Mtree.

SMB copy could be a PITA especially if you're talking about a lot of data.

PS Feature request, Backup Job Repository Move leveraging DD Boost... In case you don't want to switch an entire repository, and all its jobs, over to a DDBoost SU/Mtree.
jj281
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Jonathan Leafty

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:31 pm

Gostev wrote:Hi, Scott. I am not hands on with DataDomain, but can you not enable access to the DDBoost storage unit via SMB temporarily, and move your backups there using regular file copy? Thanks!

So I've ran this scenario by some EMC DD folks on our periodic call, and they have noted one potential gotcha. Be careful not to accidentally set CIFS ACL on the copied files, or DDBoost will have issues with file access. Other than that, this should be doable!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby EdwardPoll » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:28 am

Gostev,

Interesting point about the permissions - this is something we are experiencing, however we aren't setting the permissions ourselves!

We currently target the backups to CIFS shares on our DD 4200(s), we've enable DDBoost etc and all is working fine for *new* jobs. However when we use FASTCOPY to get the 'old' backups from the CIFS share into the DDBoost MTree they come across with the same permissions they had previously i.e. those of the CIFS share/directory. To that end when the DDBoost user tries to access them to 'continue' the backup chain it fails with 'no permission' errors when trying to open/read the files. We've tried to flush permissions down from the root level of the DDBoost MTree but this effectively wipes the CIFS permissions and does not correctly apply the necessary permissions for DDBoost.

As a work around, we can remove the old backups (from the job, not from the disk!) and it will start the job from fresh as a new backup chain (obviously if we need to go back to the old backups we just reimport from the disk), but this as you can imagine is a real PITA.

Any ideas on how to move them and have the permissions correct? Or are we simply missing something blindly obvious!

Thanks

Ed
EdwardPoll
Influencer

Full Name: Edward Poll

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:47 am

Isn't that possible to make FastCopy copy backups without preserving original permissions? Or it won't work in this case? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby EdwardPoll » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:26 pm

Not that we can see....

filesys fastcopy source <src> destination <dest>

Not much configuration in that....

Any other ideas anyone?
EdwardPoll
Influencer

Full Name: Edward Poll

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:12 pm

What about using different copy utility, such as RoboCopy or similar? If I'm not mistaken, the said tool allows you to copy files without preserving permissions. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby jj281 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:36 pm

v.Eremin wrote:What about using different copy utility, such as RoboCopy or similar? If I'm not mistaken, the said tool allows you to copy files without preserving permissions. Thanks.

When using fastcopy, perhaps NFS mount the (DDBoost) mtree then "push" permissions back down from the root.

I suppose you can do that via CIFS, I just haven't had much luck in those cases.
jj281
Novice

Veeam Logoby tomb80 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:19 pm

I have had no success with copying old backups into the new DDBoost storage device. I created all new jobs and deleted the old jobs. After that, I just imported the backup files from the old jobs until I manually delete them for the retention period. That has seemed to work best with me.

Has anyone seen any problems with V8 and DDBoost? My backups are painfully slow when they should be blazing fast. We are backing up from a Pure Flash Array and a CX480. I'm wondering if the Pure dedupe and compression could be causing issues with V8.
tomb80
Novice

Full Name: tom burge

Veeam Logoby kgillett14 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:07 pm

Have you had your DD Boost device removed from the list of devices in the DD OS after doing the fastcopy? I did and EMC support had to make a file named ".ddboost" in the directory to make it appear again.
kgillett14
Lurker

Full Name: Kevin Gillett

Veeam Logoby jj281 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:20 pm

tomb80 wrote:I have had no success with copying old backups into the new DDBoost storage device. I created all new jobs and deleted the old jobs. After that, I just imported the backup files from the old jobs until I manually delete them for the retention period. That has seemed to work best with me.

Has anyone seen any problems with V8 and DDBoost? My backups are painfully slow when they should be blazing fast. We are backing up from a Pure Flash Array and a CX480. I'm wondering if the Pure dedupe and compression could be causing issues with V8.
Have you confirmed DDBoost is "working". ddboost show stats interval # does it seem to match up?

I'm not sure why the source storage dedupe/compression would matter unless it's slower...

Is your Proxies (or Gateway) capable of handling the DDBoost load?

I did run the beta and the synthetics were noticeably faster (4x). I'm running the release right now but haven't done a synthetic on a Backup Job... However I am doing a backup copy job right now. What's.... odd is the Backup Copy seems to be reading faster from the source DataDomain with Boost vs without Boost (like double), I thought generally there weren't improvements on read? Chalk it up to protocol efficiency over CIFS?

Active Fulls/Incrementals are about the same in the release vs non-DDBoost... I would hope for some improvement there by just the fact the DataDomain doesn't have to ingest as much data, but I have to test from a flash array or additional proxies before making any conclusions...
jj281
Novice

Veeam Logoby carlingtech » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:53 am

tomb80 wrote:I have had no success with copying old backups into the new DDBoost storage device. I created all new jobs and deleted the old jobs. After that, I just imported the backup files from the old jobs until I manually delete them for the retention period. That has seemed to work best with me.

I have also had performance issues with v8 and Boost. Jobs were taking quite a bit longer (3 hours for what was a 30 minute incremental in v7) with long periods where it didn't appear Veeam was doing anything. Jobs were run for 30 minutes or more with no data backed up. I have reverted back to a CIFS share and things are working as well as they did with v7. I have a case open with support (00673245), but have not gotten any solutions on it yet.
carlingtech
Novice

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:20 pm

jj281 wrote:I thought generally there weren't improvements on read? Chalk it up to protocol efficiency over CIFS?

Correct. DDBoost is used for both writes and reads (so, it should help with restores too). And, it is definitely more efficient than CIFS. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication