Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lwarner
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Leigh Warner

Moving replicas on target cluster

Post by lwarner »

Ok if I have replica jobs, and my destination is a cluster, is moving the replicas supported? I'm talking just compute, like when I need to do maintenance on the cluster.

I notice that I can vmotion the replicas and leave them on a different host than they originally started out on, and the replica job completes fine. But the job log never reflects the new host. Example, the first run of the replica job puts my vm 'Fileserver' on target host 'Host1' in my target cluster. I then do some maintenance on that target cluster, and leave Fileserver on Host2. The next time the replica job runs, it says that it successfully completed replicating the VM to Host1. The replica VM is still on Host2, not Host1. Is that normal?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Moving replicas on target cluster

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
if you point to the cluster, then it works as you said.

Can you maybe provide a screenshot from the job log where you can see the hostname? Because in my replication job, I cannot see any hostnames of the hypervisor (V11 latest patch)

Best regards,
Hannes
lwarner
Enthusiast

Post by lwarner »

Hi Hannes,

I have a case open, 04835907, with an inquiry about the behavior. Attached to that case is a screenshot showing the host names. At the moment I don't have a way to link an image here on the post.
We only see the host name when there is a data sovereignty warning; if there's no warning, the host name is not displayed as you observed.
Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
as it makes little sense that multiple people cover the topic, I would leave it to support then.

Screenshots can be includes in two ways
1) upload them somewhere (I use snag.gy) and just paste the link
2) upload them somewhere (I use snag.gy) and embed the picture with the

Code: Select all

[img]link[/img]
Best regards,
Hannes
lwarner
Enthusiast

Post by lwarner »

Support helped me figure this out, here's what is going on in case anyone is curious.

When you point to a cluster, Veeam makes a list of the datastores that the cluster can access. It places the VM on the target cluster on a arbitrary host. Once that VM has been registered, it no longer matters where it is because Veeam is only writing data to the datastore. In fact, logs do not even reference a host, just the datastore.

And this makes complete sense; even when you power on the VM, DRS may move it around to another host.