Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mtellefson
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Tellefson

Moving shared drives to new server

Post by mtellefson »

We have a leased license through a local reseller. We backup to a QNAP and then to the Veeam cloud. I am working on moving 3 shared drives to a new server. Total of about 2.3TB. What is the best way to control the size of our backups on both the QNAP and cloud as I remove the old server from the backup and add the new?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Moving shared drives to new server

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I understood the following for "shared drives":
server 1: has three drives
server 2: gets the three drives

Now I ask myself which backup product you are using and what are you backing up. Veeam Agent for Windows? Or are these disks datastores of a hypervisor host? If hypervisor: which hypervisor and how did you add it to Veeam (via VCenter or Hyper-V cluster?)

Best regards,
Hannes

PS: there is no Veeam cloud. I assume that you are using your reseller as Veeam Cloud Service Provider?
mtellefson
Novice

Post by mtellefson »

Sorry for the lack of detail and any miscommunication. Both servers are virtual servers in a vmware environment.
Server 1 has 3 drives on 3 separate volumes
Server 2 has 3 drives on one volume.

The current backup job backs up server 1 completely. While looking for answers to this question, I did see some references to backing up shared folders so if there is a better way, this would probably be an opportune time to change it.

Yes it is "Hosted Veeam Cloud Connect"
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

If you connect the 3 virtual disks from server 1 to server 2, then they will end up as new data in backup.

If you copy all the data from server 1 to server 3, then all data ends up in backup, too.

I don't know what you are doing overall... but if you just put the operating system disk from server 2 into server 1, then you can continue using the data on the 3 other virtual disks. You only get new backup of the operating system disk.
I did see some references to backing up shared folders
I don't see how this could help. It probably creates larger backups because it's file based. And NAS backup does not support Veeam Cloud Connect today.
mtellefson
Novice

Post by mtellefson »

I am replacing a 2008 server with a 2019 server. In order to handle the available space issues, it looks like I can delete the restore points for the old server and let the new server get caught up.