Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ASG
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Moving some Backups from 1 SOBR Extent to another

Post by ASG »

Hi,

I'm using one of our SOBR as a target for a backup copy job. This SOBR has 2 extents that are the same size connected via FC and configured for Data Locality as they are ReFS volumes. However the distribution of the Files/Backups is less than optimal. One Extent is nearly full (with the amount of copys to keep not reached) while the other has about 50% free. I would like to move some Backups from the first to the second extent - moving the Full and all incrementals.

Any advice? Can I just move alle the files for a backup from one folder to the other and do a rescan on both extents?

Thanks!

Edit:
I forgot to mention: Veeam did split the Backup Copy onto both extents - just in a bad way in this case. Our 3 largest backups did end up on the same extent while the other extent has 1 large backup and a lot of small backups...
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Moving some Backups from 1 SOBR Extent to another

Post by wishr »

Hi ASG,

Yes, you are able to move the files. I would recommend reaching out to our support to make sure everything will go smoothly, but in case you'd like to do it on your own here are the instructions.

Regards,
Fedor
ASG
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by ASG »

Hi Fedor,

Thanks for the link. The steps worked fine and even some restores to test it worked like they should, so this everything is now balanced across my 2 extents.

Thanks!
ASG
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi ASG,

Thanks for letting us know, glad to see it worked.

We have some planned changes on the roadmap (no ETA yet) that should help to deal with such cases in future.

Thanks,
Fedor