Moving Veeam B&R to another server?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Moving Veaam B&R to another VM?

Veeam Logoby buck » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:16 pm

I'm trying to move my B&R install to a new VM as well. On the current VM, I stopped Veeam services, then through the SQL Server 2005 (Express) Manager, I detached the database (VIM_VCDB). I copied those files to my dedicated SQL server (2008) to make use of that.

When attaching the DB there, though, I get a message saying "To upgrade a full-text catalog, click Add Catalog and locate and select it. Full-text indexes will be imported, based on the Full-Text Upgrade Option." OK, at this point, I'm lost. I've moved SQL databases before, but never ran into that message. I'm not sure if it's because I'm going from SQL 2005 to 2008 or what.

My plan was to attach the DB on the SQL Server, then install Veeam B&R on a new Server 2008 VM that I created just for Veeam stuff, and point to the SQL Server as the existing database.

Anyone have any advice, or had a similar problem? I don't really want to proceed if there's going to be problems down the road. I could install SQL Express on the new B&R server, but if I don't have to, I'd rather not.
buck
Influencer

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:22 pm

Well, I can only say that this has nothing to deal with Veeam functionality... some internal SQL business. Might be best to seek help of some SQL guru. Hope we have some on these forums ;)
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2348 times

Move Veeam B&R to another physical server

Veeam Logoby chum » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:16 am

I need to move our current installation of Veeam B&R from our old physical Win2K3 32bit Server to a newer Win2K3 64 bit physical server.

Is there a guide with the various steps on how to do this?
chum
Influencer

Full Name: Craig Eddington

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:26 am

Did you read this topic?
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2348 times

Veeam Logoby chum » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:42 am

I had a read through a fe threads, and there didn't seem to be anything definitive.

The closest I got was;

"If you need to move Veeam backup server to another machine/VM, you should be using the following procedure:

1. Move/backup Veeam SQL configurations database using native SQL server management tools to the new server.
2. Copy SqlLockInfo registry key to the new Veeam backup server, as it is described in this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3052&p=12702&hilit=SqlLockInfo#p12702
3. Choose the copied database while installing new Veeam console, and perform the installation.
4. After doing this, re-enter all credentials used to connect to vCenter Server/Hosts without removing them from the console.

If you face any difficulties with that, please contact our technical support for assistance."

However further down someone posted a comment saying that they tried that procedure and it didn't work.

Is there a step missing, or iis there an issue going from 32bit B&R to 64 bit B&R?
chum
Influencer

Full Name: Craig Eddington

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:03 am

The procedure you've quoted is correct, so feel free to follow it. If you face any problems during the transition, you can always contact our support team.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1097 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

How to export jobs

Veeam Logoby JorisK » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:13 am

[merged]

Hi,

I want to replace one of my backup servers, the backup data stays untouched. I want to reinstall the backup server, reinstall VEEAM Backup 5 and import the jobs information again.

Is this possible?
JorisK
Expert

Move remote replica jobs to a new server

Veeam Logoby schedlbauerm » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:58 am

[merged]

I've installed a new veeam server.

On the old server there are about 30 remote replica jobs.

How can I move/migrate the jobs from the old to the new server without loosing the replicas ?

The destination storage with the replicas stays the same. I just want the new jobs on the new server to accept the already available replicas on the destination storage.

Best regards,

Martin
schedlbauerm
Enthusiast

Full Name: Martin Schedlbauer

Moving Veeam server to DR site - can you transfer jobs

Veeam Logoby mmartin » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:00 pm

[merged]

Hi folks

We have Veeam B+R running in our office with both backup jobs and replication jobs.

I want to add another veeam server out in our DR site and let it manage the replication jobs, however we have about 15 servers some quite large so I don't want to lose all the data we already have and the fact that currently all the jobs are running successfully.

Is there anyway to backup up the DB or files and then import them when we get to the other side or do I just have to start all over again.

Thanks

Michael
mmartin
Novice

Full Name: Michael Martin

Veeam Logoby mmartin » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:28 pm

While my post was merged it is slightly different but happy for it to remain here if I can get an answer.

I want to move my replication jobs from my office Veeam server to my DR Veeam Server without having to recreate and reseed can it be done.

Is there anyway to test the DR servers without manual intervention? so similar to surebackup but for replication servers.
mmartin
Novice

Full Name: Michael Martin

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:23 pm

Michael, currently there is no such ability, the whole Veeam DB can be moved only.
Regarding your second question, please see this topic. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1075 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

import replicas

Veeam Logoby arsprod » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:45 pm

[merged]

I'm moving to a new Veeam server and don't want to recreate all the replica jobs. Is there a way to export/import jobs from one server to another?

Aaron
arsprod
Enthusiast

Full Name: Aaron Spiegel

Veeam Logoby pcrebe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:27 am

Hi Gostev,
should i backup the C:\backup\Replicas folder (default) to move my backup server v6 or the jobs recreate that at the next start? In that folder i've only replica .vbk metadata files, naturally.

thanks,
Carlo
pcrebe
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: CARLO

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:40 am

Carlo, replica metadata will be automatically re-created during the next job run, though, note, that it will obviously take longer than the previous runs. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1075 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Questions about migrating to new veeam server

Veeam Logoby pwinterbourne » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:00 am

[merged]

Hi,

I have the latest Veeam software installed and need to reinstall my operating system on the server. Basically, to cut a long story short I need to downgrade my windows license from enterprise to standard for compliance issues and the only way to do it is to reinstall the OS and start from scratch. I need to know how to backup my veeam configuration and restore it once I have reinstalled AND I need to know if I can reimport my previous backups and not have to do another full backup of my existing virtual machines. The main issue with my existing vm's is that it takes 3 days to do a full back up so ideally I really do not want to do this (as I am using reverse incrementals at the moment)

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

Paul
pwinterbourne
Influencer

Full Name: Paul Winterbourne

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication