Post by pwinterbourne »

looks good thanks for merging :-)
StoneEdge
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED] Move B&R v6.1.x to a new Server

Post by StoneEdge »

Hi All,

I have seen some questions in this forum regarding this. But all I can see is for previous versions, has these tasks been more easy on this new version? Do we still need to migrate/move the DB from the old server to the new server?
And also in my old server I was using SQL 2008 R2, and in this new one I am using the Express 2005 from the Veeam Installer.

I have added a new LUN into the new server, also attached the old LUN to this new server and copy all backup(and also nfsdatastore) from the old one to the new one.

When I create a new NFSdatarore I choose the same folder from the previous one and all have been imported.

I see all my backups, I have restore two VMs from different jobs to test and it restored without any problem.

The only problem in this migration is that I do not have the jobs from the previous Veeam Server. Do I need to move the DB to import this and have all my jobs back?

Thank You

Stone
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Moving Veeam B&R to another server?

Post by foggy »

Yes, the only way to import the previous jobs, is to move the configuration DB to the new server. Nothing has changed in the latest version regarding this.
StoneEdge
Influencer

Post by StoneEdge »

Hi

Thank You for your reply.

I do not have too many jobs(around 8) witch I can recreate. Is there any issues recreating this jobs??

Thanks

SE
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

In this case you need to scan the backup repository and then map the new jobs to the existing backups. But the first run will perform a full backup.
StoneEdge
Influencer

Post by StoneEdge »

foggy wrote:In this case you need to scan the backup repository and then map the new jobs to the existing backups. But the first run will perform a full backup.
I have recreate 3 jobs to test. Same names and settings.

How can I map this jobs to the backups?? Just starting the jobs?

Thank You

SE
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

To map the job to the existing backup file, you should use the "Map backup" link located on the "Storage" step of the backup job wizard. For more info, please take a look at the User Guide (p. 99).
StoneEdge
Influencer

Post by StoneEdge »

foggy wrote:To map the job to the existing backup file, you should use the "Map backup" link located on the "Storage" step of the backup job wizard. For more info, please take a look at the User Guide (p. 99).
Found it.

Thank You for the help

SE
webstyler
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Simon

[MERGED] Migration best way

Post by webstyler »

Hello

next days we made new backup server with Veeam Backup & Replication 6.1.0.181

we need to move all backup and configuration from one other B&R server with 6.0.0.181 onboard

How to make this at best way ?

Thanks
liviu.tutuianu
Enthusiast
Full Name: Liviu Tutuianu

[MERGED] Migrating jobs from one VBR to another

Post by liviu.tutuianu »

Dear all,

In one of our countries, the local IT took the decision to use a VM as a VBR. Because we have too many jobs that need to run simultaneously, they decided to buy a new physical server that will be used only as a VBR. We use VEEAM 6.1.

As the first time, VEEAM was installed on a VM and now it will be functional as a physical server, we cannot migrate the whole OS :) . So, is there any way by which we can import the jobs from the old VBR to the new VBR and after that they will be functional? Or, is there anyway by which we can import the files that were created within the old jobs into some new created jobs?

Thank you in advance,
Liviu
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 2 people like this post

Liviu, the upcoming Veeam B&R v6.5 will allow to backup and restore its entire configuration including all existing jobs.
liviu.tutuianu
Enthusiast
Full Name: Liviu Tutuianu

Post by liviu.tutuianu »

Dear Foggy,

This is a very good news. As always, this forum is one of the best and more active ones. I also need some other features that will be included in v6.5, so I can't wait for the new release. :)

Have a great day,
Liviu
iamjimbo
Novice
Full Name: Jim D

Post by iamjimbo »

This thread got me almost to where i want to be with the Map Backup button. Unfortunately my old backup is not showing up. i'm guessing it is because my old backup is from my B&R 5.x server and I'm trying to pull it in to my new B&R 6.x server. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Jim
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jim, yes, you can only map backup files which were created by Veeam B&R v6.x.
GreenEnvy
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Lee

Post by GreenEnvy »

Hi all,
Upgraded my 6.1 to 6.5 today, and then found I needed to upgrade the guest OS Veeam was running on to Server 2012 to be able to restore properly from my 2012 guest OS's (deduped).
We run Veeam on the same VM as vcenter. So this involved me making a new VM (new computer name) reinstalling vcenter, improting the hosts, then installing veeam, Imported the veeam backup database I made from the old server, and all my jobs are showing up ok.
Now the question is, is there a way to continue seamlessly from where I left off? I mean if I edit the current job that has the old vcenter in it, remove all those vm's, then readd them from the new vcenter, will it recognize those are the same machines?
If a full backup is required that ok, as long as I don't lose all my previous backups.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Lee,

Full VM backup will be required, since these VMs will be treated as new ones, but you will NOT lose your previous backups.

Thanks!
GreenEnvy
Enthusiast
Full Name: Lee

Post by GreenEnvy »

Thanks Vitaly,
Should I expect it to take a ton(double) more space the first time it runs, or will the dedupe still recognize the VM's are the same?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Please look through this topic for an answer: Moving VMs to a new virtual center.
evander
Enthusiast

[MERGED] New Server - Old Backups

Post by evander »

Hi - I have had to install a new Veeam B&R server, long story but bascially new server gets new IP Adddress, new Domain and everything else.
This is what I did and after is what I would like to achieve.

VMware 5.1 environment
I created a new Virtual Machine and installed B&R Server
I unmounted the D drive from the old Veeam server
I mounted the existing virtual disk (D drive) into my new Virtual Machine
I imported the existing backups into my new Veeam server.

All worked great, but now how do I convert the imported backups into running jobs? Unless I am being stupid (quite possible) I cant see how to convert them into scheduled backup jobs. Does that option exist? Or do I have to re-create all my backup jobs again?
If I do, will I lose all my existing dedup etc?

I was hoping to just click on the imported backups and choose "Run Now" or "Schedule Now". All the rest of the settings, including backup respository locations are identical to the old server.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Information about jobs is stored in Veeam B&R database. Since your new server does know nothing about it, it cannot re-create them. You can either export configuration of the old server (if it is still alive) and import it to the new one (though this functionality is available since Veeam B&R v6.5 only) or point your new installation to the old database (there are existing topics regarding how to do that). If neither option is the case for you, you need to re-create the jobs manually and map them to your existing backup files to continue incremental backups.
evander
Enthusiast

Post by evander »

Great - thanks Foggy. I will just recreate the jobs and point them to the same respositories/backup files.
Mike_H
Novice
Full Name: Michael Hall

[MERGED] Moving Veeam

Post by Mike_H »

I want to move my Veeam software (version 6.1.0.181 - 'Standard' edition) to a new server, but have a couple of questions :-

1. The original server is running W2K8SP2 64 bit, the planned destination server is running W2K8SP2 32bit - will this cause any issues?
2. From reading other posts, it seems that I should install Veeam on the new server, then use the 'Configuration Backup' option to backup the config on the old server then restore it on the new server. However, I do not have the 'Configuration Backup' option in the menu - any idea why not? Is it somewhere else on this version?

Thanks

Mike
tpayton
Veeam Software
Liked: 81 times
Full Name: Tyler Payton

Re: Moving Veeam

Post by tpayton »

Moving the DB between 32bit or 64bit has not caused any problems in my experience. Out of curiosity however I do wonder why you would want to go to a 32 bit OS.

Configuration Backup was an option added in 6.5.
Tyler Payton
Customer Experience Manager / KB Manager
Mike_H
Novice
Full Name: Michael Hall

Re: Moving Veeam

Post by Mike_H »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there a way of backing up the config in my version, or should I just upgrade the software (is it a free upgrade?)

The reason for moving to a 32 bit server is because I'm trying to take applications off of our Exchange server (as it's struggling) and the only spare server to put it on happens to be 32bit.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I've merged this discussion into another existing one regarding the same question. You can review it for possible options for version 6.1, however, it is indeed much easier to use the configuration backup feature available since v6.5 to perform the migration. So I recommend to upgrade first (free, in case of active maintenance).

That said, if you just want to offload the backup load from your Exchange to another server, you can install additional proxy on the spare one and assign your jobs to that new proxy, thus keeping the Veeam B&R management server on the original machine. Just another option to consider.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

I would not recommend moving your installation to 32-bit OS at this point, as version 7.0 will be 64-bit only.
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

[MERGED] Migrate B&R 7 to new server, SQL DB is on diff serv

Post by cffit »

I currently have a VEEAM B&R 7 physical server that I've been using for two years now. It has storage connected via iSCSI for the backup files and the SQL database is on a different server running SQL 2008 R2.

As this server is getting old now, we purchased a new server that I want to migrate VEEAM B&R (and VEEAM one as well) over to. What are the steps I would go through to do this? My partial guess is this:

1. Shutdown VEEAM services on old server
2. Disconnect the iSCSI volumes from the old server
3. Connect the iSCSI volumes to the new server and give the same drive letters in the OS
4. Install VEEAM B&R (and VEEAM ONE) on the new server and point to the existing SQL databases

Is this the correct way at a high level? Are there any other things I need to take into account?

Thanks much.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, the procedure looks good. I think you will also have to re-enter all connection credentials once migration is complete.
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Post by cffit »

Thanks Vitaliy. Does it matter if I install VEEAM B&R first or VEEAM ONE? I know they work together but I wasn't sure if you should install one before the other for any reason.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

The order of installation does not matter.