Moving Veeam B&R to another server?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Moving Veeam B&R to another server?

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi Lee,

Full VM backup will be required, since these VMs will be treated as new ones, but you will NOT lose your previous backups.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1120 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby GreenEnvy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:42 am

Thanks Vitaly,
Should I expect it to take a ton(double) more space the first time it runs, or will the dedupe still recognize the VM's are the same?
GreenEnvy
Influencer

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Lee

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:49 am

Please look through this topic for an answer: Moving VMs to a new virtual center.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] New Server - Old Backups

Veeam Logoby evander » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:25 pm

Hi - I have had to install a new Veeam B&R server, long story but bascially new server gets new IP Adddress, new Domain and everything else.
This is what I did and after is what I would like to achieve.

VMware 5.1 environment
I created a new Virtual Machine and installed B&R Server
I unmounted the D drive from the old Veeam server
I mounted the existing virtual disk (D drive) into my new Virtual Machine
I imported the existing backups into my new Veeam server.

All worked great, but now how do I convert the imported backups into running jobs? Unless I am being stupid (quite possible) I cant see how to convert them into scheduled backup jobs. Does that option exist? Or do I have to re-create all my backup jobs again?
If I do, will I lose all my existing dedup etc?

I was hoping to just click on the imported backups and choose "Run Now" or "Schedule Now". All the rest of the settings, including backup respository locations are identical to the old server.

Thanks.
evander
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:10 pm 1 person likes this post

Information about jobs is stored in Veeam B&R database. Since your new server does know nothing about it, it cannot re-create them. You can either export configuration of the old server (if it is still alive) and import it to the new one (though this functionality is available since Veeam B&R v6.5 only) or point your new installation to the old database (there are existing topics regarding how to do that). If neither option is the case for you, you need to re-create the jobs manually and map them to your existing backup files to continue incremental backups.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby evander » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:29 pm

Great - thanks Foggy. I will just recreate the jobs and point them to the same respositories/backup files.
evander
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times

[MERGED] Moving Veeam

Veeam Logoby Mike_H » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:27 am

I want to move my Veeam software (version 6.1.0.181 - 'Standard' edition) to a new server, but have a couple of questions :-

1. The original server is running W2K8SP2 64 bit, the planned destination server is running W2K8SP2 32bit - will this cause any issues?
2. From reading other posts, it seems that I should install Veeam on the new server, then use the 'Configuration Backup' option to backup the config on the old server then restore it on the new server. However, I do not have the 'Configuration Backup' option in the menu - any idea why not? Is it somewhere else on this version?

Thanks

Mike
Mike_H
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Hall

Re: Moving Veeam

Veeam Logoby tpayton » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:54 am

Moving the DB between 32bit or 64bit has not caused any problems in my experience. Out of curiosity however I do wonder why you would want to go to a 32 bit OS.

Configuration Backup was an option added in 6.5.
tpayton
Veeam Software

Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Tyler Payton

Re: Moving Veeam

Veeam Logoby Mike_H » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:27 am

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there a way of backing up the config in my version, or should I just upgrade the software (is it a free upgrade?)

The reason for moving to a 32 bit server is because I'm trying to take applications off of our Exchange server (as it's struggling) and the only spare server to put it on happens to be 32bit.
Mike_H
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Hall

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:35 am

I've merged this discussion into another existing one regarding the same question. You can review it for possible options for version 6.1, however, it is indeed much easier to use the configuration backup feature available since v6.5 to perform the migration. So I recommend to upgrade first (free, in case of active maintenance).

That said, if you just want to offload the backup load from your Exchange to another server, you can install additional proxy on the spare one and assign your jobs to that new proxy, thus keeping the Veeam B&R management server on the original machine. Just another option to consider.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:09 pm

I would not recommend moving your installation to 32-bit OS at this point, as version 7.0 will be 64-bit only.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2379 times

[MERGED] Migrate B&R 7 to new server, SQL DB is on diff serv

Veeam Logoby cffit » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:24 pm

I currently have a VEEAM B&R 7 physical server that I've been using for two years now. It has storage connected via iSCSI for the backup files and the SQL database is on a different server running SQL 2008 R2.

As this server is getting old now, we purchased a new server that I want to migrate VEEAM B&R (and VEEAM one as well) over to. What are the steps I would go through to do this? My partial guess is this:

1. Shutdown VEEAM services on old server
2. Disconnect the iSCSI volumes from the old server
3. Connect the iSCSI volumes to the new server and give the same drive letters in the OS
4. Install VEEAM B&R (and VEEAM ONE) on the new server and point to the existing SQL databases

Is this the correct way at a high level? Are there any other things I need to take into account?

Thanks much.
cffit
Expert

Liked: 33 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:36 pm

Yes, the procedure looks good. I think you will also have to re-enter all connection credentials once migration is complete.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1120 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby cffit » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:26 pm

Thanks Vitaliy. Does it matter if I install VEEAM B&R first or VEEAM ONE? I know they work together but I wasn't sure if you should install one before the other for any reason.
cffit
Expert

Liked: 33 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:55 pm

The order of installation does not matter.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2379 times

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication