Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
deduplicat3d
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Corey

Re: Moving Veeam B&R to another server?

Post by deduplicat3d »

Isn't there a step missing where you could backup the configuration from the app and then after installing the new version you would not only point to the DB but also restore the configuration?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

No need in cases when remote SQL is used, such as the latest one... you just point the new install to the same database.
deduplicat3d
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Corey

Post by deduplicat3d »

I have a remote SQL server, and scheduled configuration backup... so that's unnecessary?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Unnecessary, assuming you are backing up that remote SQL server.
jompiz
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by jompiz »

Going to upgrade 6.5 to 7 this week and at the same time migrate to a new server. Can I just install v7 to the new server and import the configuration from 6.5? Or do I need to migrate the database?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Please be aware, that importing backup configuration between different product version isn’t supported. For more details and step-by-step process, please refer to the Upgrade section of the Release Notes document or take a look at the answers provided above.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The proper way to keep your current jobs and settings would be to perform an in-place upgrade of you current v6.5 to v7, backup its configuration (using built-in configuration backup functionality), and then restore the configuration to the new v7 installation.
nholman
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Nick Holman

[MERGED] SQL DB Migration

Post by nholman »

Hi

Our current installation of Veeam 7 is pointing to a SQL server 2008R2 server. We would like to move the Veeam database and users to our new SQL 2012SP1 server and point veeam to use this.

Can anyone offer any advice or guidance on doing this - is there documentation for this?

thanks
nholman
Enthusiast
Full Name: Nick Holman

Post by nholman »

Not sure why my post was merged? my question isnt relating to moving the Veeam server but changing the database server
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Your question is covered on the first page of this topic. In addition to this you can use built-in configuration backup functionality to transfer existing data to the new SQL Server. Thanks!
masonit
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Maso

Post by masonit »

Hi!

In the userguide under performing restore of conf backup. I say that:

At the Credentials step of the wizard, specify a password for every object in the list. When Veeam Backup & Replication exports configuration data, it does not save passwords for objects. Therefore, you need to specify them anew.

What does this mean? That we have to re-enter the password for all managed credentials?

\Masonit
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

That's correct, if you're on v7. v8 now is able to backup creds and, upon restore, displays those that existed at the time when configuration was backed up, allowing you to specify new values if some of them have changed.
masonit
Service Provider

Post by masonit »

foggy wrote:That's correct, if you're on v7. v8 now is able to backup creds and, upon restore, displays those that existed at the time when configuration was backed up, allowing you to specify new values if some of them have changed.
What exactly will be retained during the move? Is it only the passwords we have to re-enter or will managed credentials list be empty after the move?

Is there a way around this? If we move the database instead of using configuration backup? We have atleast 100 different credentials in this VBR server..

\Masonit
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

masonit wrote:What exactly will be retained during the move? Is it only the passwords we have to re-enter or will managed credentials list be empty after the move?
Only the passwords. The list of credentials will be still populated, however all the passwords will be empty.
masonit wrote:Is there a way around this? If we move the database instead of using configuration backup? We have atleast 100 different credentials in this VBR server..
Yes, backing up/moving the entire Veeam B&R database is a workaround, if you need to keep passwords on v7. Another solution is to upgrade to v8 and use encrypted configuration backup.
masonit
Service Provider

Post by masonit »

foggy wrote: Yes, backing up/moving the entire Veeam B&R database is a workaround, if you need to keep passwords on v7. Another solution is to upgrade to v8 and use encrypted configuration backup.
Sounds good. :)

Anything special to keep in mind when moving the database? Is this a supported method? If I run in to trouble. Will then support help me?

\Masonit
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Is this a supported method?
Yep, and you can refer to this KB article.
Anything special to keep in mind when moving the database?
Backup the database/server first before moving it to a different server.

Thanks.
masonit
Service Provider

Post by masonit »

foggy wrote: Only the passwords. The list of credentials will be still populated, however all the passwords will be empty.
Yes, backing up/moving the entire Veeam B&R database is a workaround, if you need to keep passwords on v7. Another solution is to upgrade to v8 and use encrypted configuration backup.

Hi

I have now moved to a new server. But so far I have had to re-type all paswords for proxy servers and vcenter server! Shouldn't this be non issue after a database move???

Re-typing password is alright for proxy and vcenter servers. But I really don't want to do it on application aware passwords. Haven't reach that stage yet in my testing...

\Masonit
masonit
Service Provider

Post by masonit »

All passwords is lost, Not a ideal situation. :( What can be done?

\Masonit
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Do you still have an ability to connect Veeam B&R to the old SQL Server instance (using instructions given in the mentioned KB)? Apparently passwords are encrypted with the machine key so lost upon database migration to another server. Seems like encrypted configuration backup in v8 is the only option to keep passwords during migration.
masonit
Service Provider

Post by masonit »

Old Veeam installation is up and running again. No damaged done. But not good with missleading information. A lot of time lost..

\Masonit
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

My apologies for misleading. I haven't tried that personally, this just looked like a viable workaround to try. The fact that passwords are encrypted with the machine-specific key has completely slipped my mind, since in v8 this does not produce any issues (passwords are decrypted prior to being stored in encrypted configuration backup and then re-encrypted again with the new server's key upon restore). Is there any reason why you do not want to upgrade to v8?
masonit
Service Provider

Post by masonit »

foggy wrote:My apologies for misleading. I haven't tried that personally, this just looked like a viable workaround to try. The fact that passwords are encrypted with the machine-specific key has completely slipped my mind, since in v8 this does not produce any issues (passwords are decrypted prior to being stored in encrypted configuration backup and then re-encrypted again with the new server's key upon restore). Is there any reason why you do not want to upgrade to v8?
Yes if this does not work upgrading to Veeam 8 would be the next step. But I would like to make the move before I upgrade to Veeam 8 if possible.
I have also started a support case about this (00759579). They say it should work to move with the credentials intact. So right now I don't know what to think.. :?

\Masonit
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

masonit wrote:I have also started a support case about this (00759579). They say it should work to move with the credentials intact. So right now I don't know what to think.. :?
So just to make a conclusion on this, credentials are left intact, but cannot be decrypted with the new server's key, so re-entering credentials will be still required.
marius roma
Veteran
Full Name: Mario

[MERGED] Virtualizing the Veeam server

Post by marius roma »

The Veeam B&R 9.0 server is currently hosted by a physical HP DL360 server.
I am considering virtualizing it.
The idea is using VMware Converter to create a VM (hosted by the same VMware vSphere infrastructure where the VM managed by Veeam B&R reside) with the same name and IP address of the current Veeam server.
Veeam B&R will be uninstalled from the current physical server.
The new VM will use the same product key of the current physical server.
Is there any issue to consider, from either the licensing and the technical point of view?
Is there any documentation about the best way to virtualize the Veeam B&R server?
Regards
Marius
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Mario,
technically you can virtualize physical machine. I would suggest to go through steps described in this KB article, i.e. to do configuration backup and restore it on new installation.
Thanks!
marius roma
Veteran
Full Name: Mario

Post by marius roma »

Can I simply convert the physical server to a VM and keep the same IP and hostname?
Regards
marius
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

I`ve never tested it, but theoretically it should work. Don`t forget to make a backup before you give it a try.
Anguel
Expert
Liked: 18 times

[MERGED] Moving Veeam B&R from Hyper-V host to standalone se

Post by Anguel »

Hi!

Currently I have Veeam B&R (and Veeam One) installed right on my Hyper-V host where I also have the main backup repository on local disks.
I know that this is not best practice and would like to move VBR to another standalone server.
Is there any document describing such a procedure or could you maybe give me some hints how to do it, e.g. what to install where?

UPDATE: I also run multiple Veeam Agent backup jobs to the repository.

Many thanks in advance!

Anguel
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Please review the thread and refer to this article. Another question - do you want to migrate the main repository as well, or you just looking to migrate the VBR?

Thanks
Anguel
Expert
Liked: 18 times

Post by Anguel »

Thanks a lot, yes I would like to migrate the main repository too. I would like to move the backup stuff to a dedicated server as it is not the best idea to keep it on the Hyper-V host.

On the new server (probably Dell Poweredge T30) I am thinking about installing Windows Server 2016 and using ReFS + Storage Spaces (Classic) on onboard SATA instead of buying a dedicated hardware RAID controller - something like a more advanced NAS. Planing to use 4 x 8 TB SATA drives in mirror mode for the repository. Is this setup now recommended or should I wait for the ReFS fixes mentioned today in Anton Gostev's wonderful "Word from Gostev"?

BTW: Is there something special to take care of when moving the license to the new server?