Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
importantchicken562
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark Vigil

Moving VMs to a new host

Post by importantchicken562 »

Hi,

We have a Veeam BR server @ a remote site backing up 3 VMs on one host.

We plan on retiring this host soon due to several hardware issues and already have a new one configured @ the site.

I used vCenter to clone the backup server from the existing host to the new one. No problems here.

My question here is I plan on cloning the servers(file servers) using vCenter to the new host. Every time I have done this in the past it triggers a new full backup. What would I need to do to avoid triggering a full for all 3 servers? We have the space on our storage repository for 3 new backups, but the issue is we also have SOBR configured and the site has a relatively slow bandwidth link and don't want fulls being copied over to our cloud provider.

Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Moving VMs to a new host

Post by Mildur »

Hi Mark

Cloning a server in vCenter/ESXi creates a new VM with a new MoRefID. We cannot continue the same backup chain with a new VM.

You have multiple options to keep the backup chain with your migration:
- Use vMotion in vCenter to migrate the VM to the new host/datastore (recommended method)
- Use Quick Migration in Veeam while the VM is powered on (important). We will be able to migrate the VM, detect its heartbeat at the target host and update the MoRefID in the Veeam database. Backup chain can be continued.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
importantchicken562
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark Vigil

Re: Moving VMs to a new host

Post by importantchicken562 »

Excellent thanks! Ill use quick migration.