Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SKratzTS
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Steve Kratz

MS Removing ReFS from Win10 Pro

Post by SKratzTS »

Well crud - Just after we started getting some benefit out of ReFS by using Win10 Pro as our customer B&R servers, MS is removing the ability to create ReFS volumes in the next update.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/08 ... comments=1

Veeam -- Any pressure you can put on MS?
adapterer
Expert
Liked: 46 times

Re: MS Removing ReFS from Win10 Pro

Post by adapterer »

It says existing volumes will continue to work.

if that's the case, presumably you could create the volume on a 2016 Server OS and mount back to Windows 10 as a workaround?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

At least it's not going away completely, but will require Windows 10 Pro Workstation. Has there been any information on how much it will cost?
ITP-Stan
Service Provider
Liked: 55 times
Full Name: Stan (IF-IT4U)

Post by ITP-Stan »

I guess we'll just have to block the Fall Update on our Windows 10 Pro based B&R servers deployed at customers.

For a while I thought Microsoft was done with doing stupid things, but hey they're back.
SKratzTS
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Steve Kratz

Post by SKratzTS »

I haven't seen a price scheme, but I'm sure it'll require a volume license agreement - which absolutely SUCKS for most of our customer base (very-small to small/medium businesses). Literally, they'll often have one VM for a DC, one for remoting in to use apps (Win10), and one for a backup server (Win10).

Microsoft's making things like Chromebooks for business more and more attractive. There are getting to be TONS of small customers that operate their businesses 100% from web-based apps.