Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Peejay62
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

Multiple file restores linux, FLR appliance

Post by Peejay62 »

Hi,

I haven't tried it yet, but I wonder, is it possible to perform multiple file level restores (linux) at the same time (using the same appliance).
For FLR you have to define the proxy appliance, so I did. Every new FLR defaults to the appliance settings that are defined. So I'd rather not define another (new) one when another restore is started. I'd more like it to just mount another backupfile, the same way the backupserver behaves when performing windows based restores.
What I am actually getting at is, isn't it possible to power up the appliance and once a flr restore is needed, mount the desired backup on the appliance and go on from there? This would make things easier.
Again, I haven't tried yet to make use of the same proxy appliance, maybe it already works that way.

Thanks, Peter
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Multiple file restores linux, FLR appliance

Post by foggy »

Peter, it is possible to perform multiple FLR restores at the same time, however each of them will start its own appliance, regardless of whether you specify similar network settings for them (so better to avoid this, as starting two appliances with the same IP might cause unwanted consequences).
Peejay62
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

Post by Peejay62 » 1 person likes this post

Alexander, this is what I was suspecting. Honest, this makes the FLR other OS based file restore rather ,how should I say it, limited, at least from a scalability perspective. Imagine for whatever reason one has to perform several file restores at once. In my environment for example IP adresses are not easy to pick, maybe other cannot deploy virtual appliances that easy or at will.
My suggestion of a predefined, if you like up and running "flr restore appliance" ready to accept the backup images to mount doesn't seem such an crazy idea to me. It would greatly enhance scalability and parallelism for file restores of other OS.
In my case I now hope that I don't have to perform lots of file restores at once, this will mean trouble for me. Undoubtfully there will be a reason why there is a seperate appliance needed for every individual restore, maybe things can be put on the drawing table and result in a future enhancement.

Thanks, Peter
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Peter, your point is clear, thanks for the detailed feedback.