Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MGSPP
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Support MIGAS

Multiple full backups...

Post by MGSPP »

Hi Guys, we have an issue where Veeam does not appear to be purging previous full backups, and so disk space on our NAS has run out.

Here is our configuration

1. Restore point to keep on disk: 14
2. Backup Mode: Incremental (Create synthetic full backups periodically) Create on: Saturday

In its current state, we have 2 full backups with another trying to be created by Veeam.

1. one on the 30th of January
2. and another on 21st of the Feburary
3. and Veeam also tried to create another on Saturday (27th of the February)

Based on our retention policy, and the dates of the synthetic full backups, would it be safe to assume the full backup on the 31st of the January should be removed?

If so, what is the safest way to remove the full backup file and incrementals?

Currently, we have 27 restorations points (1 per day) - in other words, 1 for every day since the 30th of January (it should only be 14).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Multiple full backups...

Post by Gostev »

Hi. Full backup from 30th of January will only be removed by retention policy when restore point of 20th of February falls out of retention, which should happen in a week from now. Based on what you see on disk in terms of full backups, perhaps you missed all full backups between Jan 30th and Feb 21st?
MGSPP
Novice

Post by MGSPP »

You're right, it seems full backups were missed between the 30th and 20th.

Would it be ok to remove the full from the 30th, and the incrementals up until the 20th?

We need to get Saturday's backup job completed.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can temporarily decrease the number of restore points to keep on disk and let job delete previous data in automatic fashion during its next cycle. Once the unneeded full and increments dependent on it are gone, you can increase retention back to 14 points. Thanks.
MGSPP
Novice

Post by MGSPP »

Thanks.

Question..

Although I agree with the method you mentioned, what happens if I delete the fulls and subsequent incrementals from the backup location?

I assume Veeam will not let me restore backups for the date range selected for deletion, although the ones I want to keep should continue functioning?

Thanks in advance.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Your understanding is correct.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I assume Veeam will not let me restore backups for the date range selected for deletion, although the ones I want to keep should continue functioning?
Correct. Though, the entities of deleted restore points will still be present in both GUI and product db until retention reaches them. Thanks.