Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jphippshbg
Novice
Liked: never

NAS/Repository dual duty

Post by jphippshbg »

We have an HP NAS running Storage Server 2012 R2 that was initially a NAS on the network but we added an extra shelf and that because the repository for our Veeam backups.
This NAS was added to Veeam as a Managed Server under Backup Infrastructure and houses these repositories.
We recently went to Veeam 12 and I want to start backing up the physical NAS (not repositories) directly to Wasabi.

What is the best way to add this server to Veeam to allow it to be backed up to the cloud?
Do I just manually add it to the Physical Infrastructure under Inventory or would it be better to add it as a File Server under Files Shares?
Since it is already a repository server I want to make sure that adding it as a physical server doesn't mess up any of the roles already installed.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: NAS/Repository dual duty

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
File server role, Veeam Agent for Windows and the repository role can exist in parallel. That's fine.

Backup via SMB or "file server" costs one license per 500GB. Agent is one license. That usually makes the decision easy (actually not mentioned in your options, but I thought it might be useful) :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
jphippshbg
Novice
Liked: never

Re: NAS/Repository dual duty

Post by jphippshbg »

Just wanted to say thanks for the response.
I didn't know about the costs per GB but we were able to get the Agent going and get the NAS backed up to Wasabi.
Thanks!