Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Sross
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Shad Ross

NAS's as acceptable backup repos

Post by Sross »

Good morning Everyone,

We've deployed quite a few Veeam B&R servers for our customers and normally would have a server acting as a repo (small with single 8-16TB drive, Large with 8x drives).

Lately, we've had several setups being deployed with a NAS as a repo iSCSI'ed to the Veeam server. While we haven't had issues with this setup, I know could have sworn that Veeam used to frown upon using them. As such, I've been more opposed to using them, which puts me squarely in the minority.

To be fair, the NASs are decent ones. We are using Synology RS1221RP's, 10Gbp add on card, dual power supplies, 8x Drives (16 or 20TBs) in RAID 10, Vlanned off to only talk to the Veeam servers, and are being regularly patched.

At the end of the day, our clients need reliable backups that can be recovered from. When I look at it this way, I am wondering if I'm just being stubborn. Am I? If they are acceptable and reliable for backups and restoration, then they are ideal for most of our deployments as onsite immutability has not drawn any interest (Cloud backups are setup by default).

Just trying to take a hard look at my stance and see if I am becoming the old IT guy who only wants it done the way it has always been done.

Thank you all for your time in humoring me with this!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: NAS's as acceptable backup repos

Post by Mildur »

Hello Shad

I don't see issues to use such NAS model for your backups. Our recommendation is to not use cheap home NAS devices. And a RS1221RP is not targeted to home users.
It is also listed in Microsoft's hardware catalog and therefore should be supported for ReFS by Microsoft:
https://www.windowsservercatalog.com/it ... CatID=1282

In my eyes, the important thing is to make sure that your customer has a second copy which is air-gapped and immutable. Which you have solved by having the backups on cloud connect (if I get your topic right).

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software