Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
james411
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Need help importing backups (and moving the physical VBKs)

Post by james411 »

Hi all,

Some time ago, I had a backup copy job that was throwing an error about corrupt metadata. It turned out one of my weekly full VBK files was corrupted. I followed the KB article to remove the backups (also checked the delete archived full backups option), and then renamed the physical folder for the job in the Repository. Veeam created a new folder and started a new backup chain. Now my question is, I had several weekly and monthly full backups that this job created that I would still like to be able to restore from if needed. I know I can import backups with the .VBM file, but my questions are:

1) If I import this VBM, will it automatically skip the corrupted VBK? Should I delete that corrupted VBK from disk first before importing?

2) I want the physical VBK files to be stored in the new job folder created. I don't want to have to have 2 different folders for a job just because one had a corrupted backup. Is there a way to put these old backups in the new job folder in the repository? Should I move the VBKs and VBM to the new folder before importing the VBM?

Thanks for the input!

Edit: forgot to mention I'm on Veeam 8.0.0.2084
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Need help importing backups (and moving the physical VBK

Post by Shestakov »

Hi,

Could you describe what exactly you did or just link us the KB article?
Haven`t you deleted the corrupted VBK?

If the backup job name didn`t change you should have 2 vbms with the same name now, so you shouldn`t store them in the same folder.
It`s not recommended to edit .vbm manually by the way. You can contact support team to do it.
Thanks!
james411
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by james411 »

https://www.veeam.com/kb1885

My backup copy job name is "Local Copy - Other Servers" so I renamed the physical folder in the repository to "Local Copy - Other Servers.old"

When Veeam created a new backup set, it recreated a "Local Copy - Other Servers" folder. I don't want to have 2 folders with backups in them. Does that make sense? Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

I guess the removed backup files are not visible in the console now?
To make them restorable, you need to rescan the repository. If you want to delete the corrupted file, you need click "delete from disk".

I see your point, but as I said, you can`t have 2 files with the same name in a folder.
To modify merge 2 vbm files into one, please contact Veeam support team.