Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
fja
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Need option to align copyjob schedule with backup schedule

Post by fja » 1 person likes this post

This topic has actually been adressed in several other threads - but basically problems arise in Veeam due to the lack of alignment of scheduling options between backup jobs and copy jobs / tape jobs.
To allow a copy job to recognise new restorepoints as soon as possible, it is needed to restart it at least 1 time a day. This - as is well known - causes an error for all copy jobs where the source backup job has not created new restore points.
....but in many cases this is not an error!

We use different schedule for backup frequence based on a systems criticality. Critical data - logfiles every ½hrs - daily full. Critical systems daily full. Important supporting systems 3 times a week. Archive & (not active) development systems 2 times a week.

This matches poorly with copyjobs!

Ideally a copy job should automatically check the sourcejob schedule, and NOT report an error when no backup was scheduled. Error only if source job was supposed to run, but no new restore point found.
Second best would be to allow selection of days (and start time) to run copy jobs and tape jobs - like in backup job. Then at least operator has the option of aligning jobs and eliminating false alarms.

We actually had support make a solution to above at some time (think it was V7) - and also it was annouced to be fixed in V8 release notes.. However problem is still there - also in current V9.

I really do not understand why this is not taken seriously. It is VERY aanoying with these false alarms
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Need option to align copyjob schedule with backup schedu

Post by foggy »

Thanks for the feedback. Am I understanding right that you're using a single backup copy job for several backup jobs that have different schedule?
fja
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by fja »

No. Copy job is for each backup job. Actually we have 2 copy jobs - coying to 2 different archive servers / repositories.

BTW - there was a thread suggesting to link jobs - that is letting backup job trigger the copyjob. This would actually not be good setup fur us, as we WANT the copyjob to fail to get info (mail) that files are missing (but only when they were scheduled to BE there...)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

So for some backup job schedules (e.g. 3 times a week) you're not able to match the backup copy job schedule, since the scheduler is not that flexible and does not allow this kind of configuration. Got it.
g2gsr
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: John Massarello

Post by g2gsr »

I agree with the OP. We are a service provider and have some customers that want their offsite backup copy jobs fully managed. That is, they want my team to setup and maintain all backup copy jobs. There are multiple scenarios where the scheduling of the source backup jobs cannot be "matched" by the backup copy jobs. This causes the job to report as having failed because there were no restore points to copy, while that is expected because the scheduling is set such that there shouldn't be any restore points. We then get alerted by emails, and then sometime customers wondering "Why did my jobs to you fail?!?!".

Because of my familiarity with Veeam, I understand that it is a false failure. However, it would be a much appreciated feature to add the ability to select one of three cycle methods. 1)continuous, restart every x days/hours. (the current method). 2)Start after "backup-job" and complete when copy is finished. or 3) Specific cycle start time/day and end time/day.

Just my two cents :)
jazzoberoi
Enthusiast
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Jazz Oberoi

Post by jazzoberoi »

+1 have the scheduling similar to how the Tape Job operates. I.e 2)Start after "backup-job" and complete when copy is finished.