Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GenDev
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Need to rebuild repo. Couple of questions...

Post by GenDev »

Hey everyone,

We need to replace all of the drives in one of our repos. We are going to be wiping the backups and starting fresh. My plans is to use "Delete from Disk" to delete all of the backups from the primary repo, replace the drives, and start new. I have a couple questions:

1. Do I need to use "Remove Configuration" or "Delete from Disk" since we are removing the drives? I didn't know if "Delete from Disk" would be a waste of time since the disks will be swapped out anyway.

2. Once we put in the new array, is there anything I need to do like a "Rescan Repo" or anything? Or will Veeam take care of everything I need? Drive letter, drive format, and everything will be the exact same. Just larger capacity.

3. We do have a backup copy jobs for a secondary repo that we use for offline backups. It runs it's backups once a week. We would like to maintain those backups. So, for example, our backup copy jobs run on Wednesday at 8am. Immediately, when they are finish, I wipe the main repo and start new. The main repo backups up nightly at 9pm. Come next Wednesday at 8am when the backup copy runs again, will it just pickup where it left off since the main repo has a new week worth of data in it or will I encounter any issues?

Thanks!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Need to rebuild repo. Couple of questions...

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Hi!
1. Delete from Disk + don't forget to use few cycles of zeroing HDD out to avoid accidental data leaks in case someone scans HDD surface. Won't be that much time difference between Delete from Configuration and Delete from Disk anyway.
2. Yup, Manual "Rescan Repository" or going through it's properties with "Next-Next-Next-Finish" style should serve it well to get new capacity numbers straight away.
3. It will catch fresh chain just fine.
/Cheers!
GenDev
Enthusiast

Post by GenDev »

Thanks for the info! Worked perfectly!

I have a bit of a side question. For Surebackup Jobs, it wouldn't let me delete some of the backups because they were associated with application groups (pardon my terminology, I may be getting things wrong). I dont quite remember the order of everything, but, I ended up needing to delete the Surebackup jobs, delete the backups, then rebuild the jobs them after I did my initial backup of the VMs.

Is there an easier way to do this in the future? Again, I apologize I may have gotten the recollection of my steps wrong. It was all a bit of a blur. :)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You cannot delete backups from the database in case they are still involved in some Veeam B&R activity, like SureBackup in your case. So you first need to break those 'links' either by editing the corresponding jobs or removing them like you did.
GenDev
Enthusiast

Post by GenDev »

Ok, thanks for the info and the help.