Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Virtualizer
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Gary Golbraich

Need your advice with replication seeding

Post by Virtualizer »

Hi,

I have a replicaion job with "low connection bandwidth" option selected and with seeding configured.
Metadata repository is local, replica destination is on DR.

On my DR site i had a few replicas that were defected. According to veeam kb i had to "remove from disk" those replica VMs.

Now the situation is that i have few VMs in my replication job without the ability to seed.
Therefor i receive error messages regarding the inability to map to seeded VMs.

So right now i want to replicate those missing VMs.

I was thinking to create another replication job with only those missing VMs and replicate them to the DR without the "low connectino bandwidth" mode - only for one-time replication. Then - i could use the first replication job i already have to allow for seeding again and delete the recent replication job i created.

Been looking all over the net for some straight-forward answer but only found more confusion :roll:
What would be the best option to do ?

Kind reagads

-Gary
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Need your advice with replication seeding

Post by foggy »

Virtualizer wrote:I was thinking to create another replication job with only those missing VMs and replicate them to the DR without the "low connectino bandwidth" mode - only for one-time replication. Then - i could use the first replication job i already have to allow for seeding again and delete the recent replication job i created.
Gary, I believe you can replicate those VMs within the already existing job (just make sure there's no VM with the same replica name exists on target), however the described scenario should also work.
Virtualizer
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Gary Golbraich

Post by Virtualizer »

Hi Foggy,

Thank you for your reply.

I already tried your suggestion but ended up receiving the following:

leaving the replication job as it is:

"...Discovering replica VM Error: Unable to find mapping target VM 'Idm_replica', ref 'vm-92'..."

And if i set the "replica VM" as "no mapping" (removing the obsolete remained VM replica name) in the job seeding properties, i get this message:

"...Cannot find VM in the backup file specified for seeding..."

Perhaps i miss understood you ?

This job includes also like 10 other VMs which are properly replicated. This job is set to work in "low connection bandwidth" mode of course.

-Gary
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Virtualizer wrote: "...Cannot find VM in the backup file specified for seeding..."
Ah, well, that's due to the fact that you seed other VMs from the backup file (the 'Get seed from the following backup repository' check box is selected). You can go with a separate job then and then map your VMs to the newly created replicas, no issues with that.