Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 133 times
Full Name: Marc K

NET Framework 3.5 Required?

Post by mkaec »

The release notes for VBR 9.5U4 indicate that NET Framework 4.6 is required. It also notes that PowerShell 2.0 is required.

I've been going through the servers I manage and removing NET Framework 3.5. When I tried to do this on the VBR server, I noticed it also removes the PowerShell 2.0 engine at the same time. Is it correct that VBR requires exactly PowerShell 2.0 and the newer versions compatible with NET Framework 4 will not do? Or am I interpreting the documentation incorrectly, and PowerShell 2.0 is really a minimum?
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Re: NET Framework 3.5 Required?

Post by nmdange »

I don't have either .NET 3.5 or PowerShell 2.0 installed (never installed them in the first place) and Veeam works fine.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Marc,

PowerShell 2.0 is really a minimum, so you're safe with upgrading it to the higher version. For example, we require PowerShell 3.0 for the Cloud Connect server (when added to Veeam Availability Console) which is basically a Veeam B&R installation.

Thanks!
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 133 times
Full Name: Marc K

Post by mkaec »

OK. Thanks for clarifying. Perhaps consider revising the verbiage in the system requirements for people like me that read them like they are law. I've been burned in the past by ultra-strict system requirements (like an application refusing to load onto a newer version of SQL server even though the compatibility level on the database is set to the version listed as compatible.)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, being cautious never hurt anybody, we will keep this in mind next time. Thanks for your feedback!