Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Alan_ORiordan
Enthusiast
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Alan ORiordan

Network Adapter failure after Quick Migration

Post by Alan_ORiordan »

Hi

I was testing the Quick Migration feature ahead of using it to migrate my vCenter VM so that the source host can get updates installed. When the test machine was migrated everything seemed to go to plan ie the machine was online till the snapshot was copied over then it was powered down and the migrated machine was powered on. The Source VM said it was migrated_orphaned but I presume you just have to remove that from inventory?

On the migrated VM however the network adapter was disconnected. and in the settings the network connection option was blank so I changed it over to the new hosts NIC team setting. Even after a reboot the machine still wouldn't connect to the network. I migrated back to the original host and then removed the NIC and re-added it at which point all was returned to normal.

I would have thought that the quick migration should have been able to do this for me automatically?

Thanks

Alan
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Network Adapter failure after Quick Migration

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Alan,
I'm wondering what type of NIC does that VM has?
What you are describing is not an expected behaviour. Have you contacted Veeam support team? If yes, please provide support case number.
Thanks.
Alan_ORiordan
Enthusiast

Post by Alan_ORiordan »

Both the source and target servers are Dell R720xd's which are either a Broadcom 5720 or Intel I320 quad 1Gbps card. They are configured in a dual nic team on both the target and the host. The backup server is running veeam 7 patch4 and the hosts esxi 5.5 U1 but the target is a higher build number due to it having been updated.

I haven't opened a ticket yet as it happened last thing today and wasn't sure due to my lack of experience if I was doing something wrong
Alan_ORiordan
Enthusiast

Post by Alan_ORiordan »

I just checked this morning and it is the Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5720 cards. I am new to Veeam but I will open a support case and log the ticket ID here.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I believe what Nikita was talking about is type of network adapter - e1000 or VMXNET3. Thanks.
Alan_ORiordan
Enthusiast

Post by Alan_ORiordan »

E1000
Alan_ORiordan
Enthusiast

Post by Alan_ORiordan »

Case logged with ticket number 00617923
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Alan_ORiordan wrote:The Source VM said it was migrated_orphaned but I presume you just have to remove that from inventory?
That's expected behavior if you're using standalone connection to the ESXi host. If you're doing migration with vCenter Server added to the backup console, this should not be the case.
On the migrated VM however the network adapter was disconnected. and in the settings the network connection option was blank so I changed it over to the new hosts NIC team setting. Even after a reboot the machine still wouldn't connect to the network
Do you have the same network configuration on both hosts? While you're waiting for our support engineer response, I would suggest looking through VMware event logs for this VM. The reason for issues with network card should be mentioned there, at least you should see a vCenter Server task asking to connect the migrated VM to the network.
Alan_ORiordan
Enthusiast

Post by Alan_ORiordan » 2 people like this post

The issue was to do with the NIC Team naming. it was a different network label on each host. I didn't know this would prevent quick migration from working. Doing a replication job to migrate the VM worked with an added network mapping task in the wizard.