Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
trackstar
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Network (NBD) mode setting

Post by trackstar »

Hello

Can somebody explain this to me? It is item #8 on the solution.

Use Network (NBD) mode setting on Source Backup Proxy as opposed to Appliance (hotadd) mode for your backup and/or replication jobs in Veeam.

Our backup will be on a dell hardware server with local storage (veeam install and large raid), no other device. I just want to make sure the requirements are satisfied.

Note: Currently we are running the backup server on a virtual machine.

Thanks,
TS
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Network (NBD) mode setting

Post by veremin »

Can somebody explain this to me? It is item #8 on the solution.
May I ask you from where this requirement comes from? Anyway, you can explicitly set the proxy transport mode in the settings of a given proxy server:

Go to the Backup Infrastructure -> Backup proxies -> right-click required proxy -> Transport mode -> Network

Thanks.
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

v.Eremin wrote: May I ask you from where this requirement comes from? Anyway, you can explicitly set the proxy transport mode in the settings of a given proxy server:

Go to the Backup Infrastructure -> Backup proxies -> right-click required proxy -> Transport mode -> Network

Thanks.

Darn. I thought I had the link :roll:

http://www.veeam.com/kb1744
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Then please look through this topic to see where this recommendation comes from ;) > Exchange 2010 DAG backup ?
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

v.Eremin wrote: May I ask you from where this requirement comes from? Anyway, you can explicitly set the proxy transport mode in the settings of a given proxy server:

Thanks.

Right now it is set to "Automatic" with "Failover to network mode if primary transport modes fail or are unavailable" checked. Not sure if I want to change it right now since the Exchange guys are adjusting the settings for the heartbeat fail over tonight. Too many changes at once may not be so good.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If you’re anxious about consequences that proxy mode change might have on your backup environment, you can deploy additional proxy server specified in network mode and use it only for Exchange backup job. Such scenario should guarantee that previously existing backup jobs will stay intact; meanwhile, Exchange server will be backed up in network mode. Thanks.