Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Network traffic throttling rules do not apply

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Between what components and component types have you set these traffic throttling rules? Can you please give us a bit more info?
CaptainFred
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Si

Post by CaptainFred »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Between what components and component types have you set these traffic throttling rules? Can you please give us a bit more info?
For a replication job, so between source and target backup proxies. I have them explicitly selected in my job. Have double checked all the IPs and tried it by 5 MB/s and 50 Mbps (I'm trying to simulate our DR link which is 50Mbit while I'm running the replication jobs on site).
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, let's see what our support team says based on the logs review.
llogan6906
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Luke Logan

Post by llogan6906 »

We use B&R replication and, after updating to v7 and current patch, notice that throttling seems erratic. It is showing up more as bursts than a consistent traffic volume. I.E. we have site A to site B traffic throttled during business hours to 1 Mbps with a total connection speed of 5 Mbps. Throttling is active and instead of seeing a nice stream between the proxies around 1 Mbps we are seeing a spike of 5 Mbps, a gap at next to zero, a spike of 5 Mbps, a gap...etc. Changing the throttling level hasn't seemed to do anything to the peaks, just makes the valleys at zero activity wider.

Is that how B&R throttling is supposed to work? Thanks!

FYI...Proxies are both Win8 Pro and had been working fine with B&R 6.5 for some time. We normally don't have replication jobs that last into business hours, but I had to defrag a VM's hard drive as a troubleshooting step for another issue. Defrag obviously obliterated the blocks so CBT no longer means much for this job (until it completes once). Then replication jobs should be back to off hours only.

Another note...when I set up throttling I was instructed to set the rules in both directions for it to work correctly. So, set both of the following rules:
Source IP Range for Site A - Target IP Range for Site B - Throttle level - Time Period
Source IP Range for Site B - Target IP Range for Site A - Throttle level - Time Period

It had worked fine for me in the past. I just noticed many comments seeming to say they only had throttling rules set up in one direction. Hope that helps someone out there!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Luke,
llogan6906 wrote:Throttling is active and instead of seeing a nice stream between the proxies around 1 Mbps we are seeing a spike of 5 Mbps, a gap at next to zero, a spike of 5 Mbps, a gap...etc. Changing the throttling level hasn't seemed to do anything to the peaks, just makes the valleys at zero activity wider.

Is that how B&R throttling is supposed to work? Thanks!
No, this is not how it is supposed to work. Do you have a support case opened, so that I could take a look at it?
llogan6906 wrote:Another note...when I set up throttling I was instructed to set the rules in both directions for it to work correctly.
Throttling rules are reversible, they function in two directions, so there is no need to specify this rule twice.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

We use B&R replication and, after updating to v7 and current patch, notice that throttling seems erratic.
Did the network throttling work before update? Were there any changes recently introduced in your environment? This should give us a better understanding of the scope of the issue.

Thanks.