Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kevin@thenext.net
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin

New Build Question

Post by kevin@thenext.net »

apologies in advance for the Veeam noob question...

In an environment with...

1. 3 x Hyper-V Servers (10GB)
2. 1 x Windows NAS - SMB3 shares (10GB) (2 x Raid 6 Controllers)
3. 1 x DC laptop (1GB)
4. 1 x SCVMM laptop (1 GB)

where would you recommend that I install Veaam to backup my SCVMM/Hyper-V VMs?

I was contemplating adding a single large spinning disk to the NAS (#2 above) on a MotherBoard SATA port for my repository (about 4TB).

Any recommendations for this setup/hardware etc.

Thank you very much!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 728 times

Re: New Build Question

Post by PTide »

Hi,
3.1 x DC laptop (1GB)
Do you have your DC installed on the laptop, or the laptop is just joined to the domain?
here would you recommend that I install Veaam to backup my SCVMM/Hyper-V VMs? I was contemplating adding a single large spinning disk to the NAS <...>
At this point I am not really sure whether you're asking where to install Veeam server, or where to install Veeam repository. Would you elaborate, please?

Thanks
kevin@thenext.net
Influencer

Hi,
3.1 x DC laptop (1GB)
Do you have your DC installed on the laptop, or the laptop is just joined to the domain?
Thank you very much for your reply.. sorry i dont think I was super clear...
The DC is the domain controller.. The DC was built on a laptop
here would you recommend that I install Veaam to backup my SCVMM/Hyper-V VMs? I was contemplating adding a single large spinning disk to the NAS <...>
At this point I am not really sure whether you're asking where to install Veeam server, or where to install Veeam repository. Would you elaborate, please?
I am actually asking where to install the server AND where the repository should live..
REPO: I was thinking I would add a spinning drive on the windows NAS box utilizing an SMB3 share - independent of my arrays (so if arrays dropped I would still have the spinning disk and my vms are spread across both arrays so backing up the VMs on one array to a repo on the other array would be too hard to keep up with)

VMWare Server (free): Not really sure where that should live and looking for recommendations for the entire layout :-) thanks again

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

You can install VBR server onto a Hyper-V host or onto a VM and use it as a repo and as a gateway server for NAS box. Just mind system requirements.

Thanks
kevin@thenext.net
Influencer

Thank you for your reply and for the links

I noticed it says that for "Simple Deployment":

It is used as the default backup repository. During installation, Veeam Backup & Replication checks volumes of the machine on which you install the product and identifies a volume with the greatest amount of free disk space. On this volume, Veeam Backup & Replication creates the Backup folder that is used as the default backup repository.

So this means I create an SMB3 share on my NAS and map a drive or can it be identified via UNC?

Also, what software do I download and deploy and should I stick with Simple Deploy (which seems to recommend a Hyper-V host) or is it better to learn the process to add the roles? If the latter, is there a good video that steps through what I am looking to accomplish?

Thanks Again!
kevin@thenext.net
Influencer

Also I have 3 Hyper-V Servers in a cluster. not sure if that matters.
kevin@thenext.net
Influencer

I guess I am curious how to make the backups stay on the NAS so to speak.. the arrays are there with the VMs and I added an 8TB drive on the MB.. will it keep the traffic on the NAS or should i relocate the 8TB drive to a Hyper-V with the Veeam software installed on it?
kevin@thenext.net
Influencer

Sorry for the multiple posts but I am probably going to install tonight.. if you see this before that.. this is the drawing I made of the lab:

https://user-images.githubusercontent.c ... 244862.png
kevin@thenext.net
Influencer

Okay so I moved the three spare drives that I have to node "1" of my Hyper-V Cluster. I will make them each a SMB3 Share and force them to use the 10GB NIC. I have revamped my drawing to reflect this and have labeled the same Hyper-V server as the "soon to be" Veeam Backup and Replication box. Each of the Hyper-V Servers has 96GB of RAM and I can spread the spare drives around if you think it necessary. I have held off installing anything with hopes of your continued guidance. Thanks again @PTide

https://user-images.githubusercontent.c ... abb4fa.png

PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

So this means I create an SMB3 share on my NAS and map a drive or can it be identified via UNC?
Not necessarily. Since your NAS box is a Windows server, you can assign it a role of a repository instead of connecting to NAS.
Also, what software do I download and deploy and should I stick with Simple Deploy (which seems to recommend a Hyper-V host) or is it better to learn the process to add the roles? If the latter, is there a good video that steps through what I am looking to accomplish?
You need to download and install Veeam Backup & Replication server only - it already contains all other software that will be deployed.

Thanks
kevin@thenext.net
Influencer

is NFSDatastore used in a 100% HyperV environment?
kevin@thenext.net
Influencer

Force Veeam to use SMB3 shares -drives are located on Veeam

How would one force Veeam 9.5 BUR to use SMB files shares during backup. The SMB3 shares are actually located on the Veeam server itself.

I have installed Veeam on a Hyper-V Node where I have 3 drives with 3 SMB3 shares as pictured. I want to force it to write across the 10GB network to the SMB3 shares during backup etc.

Thank you for your help in advance!
Kevin

kevin@thenext.net
Influencer

disregard..i read that it is only VMWare
kevin@thenext.net
Influencer

Re: Force Veeam to use SMB3 shares -drives are located on Ve

This is the Free version btw.. it seems we are somewhat doing a "pull".

where the VMs live are not coming across the 10GB Nic (SMB3 share)
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

How is it going? Do you have any unresolved questions?

Thanks
kevin@thenext.net
Influencer

PTide I cannot seem to force SMB3 and to use 10GB NICs with Veeam Free. Is this a known issue?
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Re: Force Veeam to use SMB3 shares -drives are located on Ve

Post by nmdange »

Veeam uses its own data transport service, you can't use SMB. Normally you use network traffic rules but I'm not sure if that's available in the free version
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

If your VMs are stored on an SMB share, you can use an off-host proxy, and in that case, Veeam would use SMB to transfer the data between the SMB file server and the off-host proxy. Again I don't know if this is available in the free version.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

What NIC does it use then? On you diagram I can't see any 1Gb connections going out of neither Veeam VM, nor NAS box. Please clarify.

Free edition does not place any limitations on network speed or SMB version to be used, but it won't allow you to use any server other than VBR as a repository. If you want to use Veeam Free, then I'd recommend to install VBR server atop of the Windows 20012 R2 NAS box. That way you will be able to use VBR server as a repo without the need to connect via SMB. In this case the source data-mover will reside on a Hyper-V host, and the target data-mover will reside on NAS box so the data transfer will occur between them instead of flowing between SMB server and SMB client.

Thanks