Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
scott.anderson
Service Provider
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Scott Anderson

New Feature Requests

Post by scott.anderson »

So really liking v10, however have already identified a couple of features that I would like to see added.

Both are related to the Veeam Configuration Backups.

1) Can we please add the Veeam Configuration backup to tape GFS jobs! We can backup everything on a repository except the Veeam config backup!

2) Can we please add Scale Out Repositories as a destination for the Veeam Config backups. Currently can only use traditional repositories only. How good would it be to be able to 'age' out the Veeam Config backup to object storage along with the normal backups. 3-2-1 guys!!!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: New Feature Requests

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
thanks for the requests!

1) I also had customers that asked for config backup to tape. But none could answer the question in which situations that would help. Because for tape restore, you need a working backup server first. And the config backup restore would be nice already before restoring from tape. How would you use a configuration backup on tape?

2) Yes, that one makes sense as soon as scale out repositories can handle configuration backup uploads. Restore here is easier, as you can just import the object storage and you don't need to find the right tape etc.

Best regards,
Hannes
Steve-nIP
Service Provider
Liked: 52 times
Full Name: Steve

Post by Steve-nIP »

scott.anderson wrote: Feb 28, 2020 5:57 am So really liking v10, however have already identified a couple of features that I would like to see added.

Both are related to the Veeam Configuration Backups.

1) Can we please add the Veeam Configuration backup to tape GFS jobs! We can backup everything on a repository except the Veeam config backup!

2) Can we please add Scale Out Repositories as a destination for the Veeam Config backups. Currently can only use traditional repositories only. How good would it be to be able to 'age' out the Veeam Config backup to object storage along with the normal backups. 3-2-1 guys!!!
You could make a simple robocopy script to mirror your config backup folder to another location each day, for example a folder in a VM.
Then it would be automatically included in all your normal retention and backup routines.
I know it's not a suggestion you'd probably want to hear.

While we're giving feature requests in the area of config backups, I'd like to be able to see the status of the config backup in Veeam Availability Console
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

Hrm...
1) I also had customers that asked for config backup to tape. But none could answer the question in which situations that would help. Because for tape restore, you need a working backup server first. And the config backup restore would be nice already before restoring from tape. How would you use a configuration backup on tape?
Do you? I thought that the Catalog function of Veeam existed for this exact reason -- Disaster Recovery. If some ransomware jerks trash my environment but I have tape, It thought the saving grace of tape was that I just spin up a new server, add the tape hardware, catalog and call it a day while I wait for stuff to restore.

I think the argument for this is mostly restoring the tape catalog data, no? Maybe it doesn't save a ton of time if we're talking about 7 tapes rotated daily, but I have customers who have environments with hundreds of tapes each with critical servers -- wouldn't they benefit from saving some time on cataloging? (Granted, it's probably not much...and I must admit I've never had someone flooding my inbox with this request)

I just would see it as a nice function automated as a secondary backup (same with S3 for config backups!), if not a primary. Again, in small environments "who cares?" But we've done contract work for clients with 600+ jobs of varying types, and getting that all set up again definitely would be a pain. Having at least a secondary site for configuration backups to go (automated by Veeam) would be great, if not just putting it to a primary off-site.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks, good requests! As a temporary workaround for configuration backup placement to tape - periodic file to tape job should work.
I thought that the Catalog function of Veeam existed for this exact reason -- Disaster Recovery
The point was that before restoring the configuration backup from tape you must:

1. Spin up another Veeam B&R and connect your tape infrastructure to it.
2. Catalog the needed tape in order to restore the configuration backup as a file.

Cheers!
scott.anderson
Service Provider
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Scott Anderson

Post by scott.anderson » 1 person likes this post

Veeam had had restore option from bare metal available from the very early days.

Its a little known tool called "extract". So if you have a working tape, a working tape drive and a machine that can read it (we have done that for customers before!), you could recover your complete Veeam infrastructure including the complete configurration and job history/catalog, very quickly IF you had the backup of the configuration.

So the request is really to make the configuration backup just another backup that can be managed like any other with backup copies, inclusion in tape jobs etc. Right now you can't even point your configuration backup at a scale out repository! How good would that be if you could use a scale out repository with object storage providing an offsite angle automatically!
markedenton
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Denton

FOLDERS in Jobs tree

Post by markedenton »

Hello. I have many different types of job, main backup jobs, permanently disabled backup jobs for reference, archive jobs where I take one-off images of vms that have been decommissioned, snapshot jobs, snapshot jobs that drive storage replication etc.. and I have all of the across 2 x DCs. This requires a careful naming convention to manage effectively. If I was able to create folders under jobs, that need do nothing more than contain jobs by category, this would make things much easier, especially for maintenance. If I was also able to right-click > disable all jobs in folder.. that would be super duper fabbie but I'd be satisfied with a basic level of improved organisation.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Mark,

Thanks for the feedback! Right now you can create custom job filters based on the workload type or, say, job state: Veeam Backup & Replication Job Filter.
E.M.IMER
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Emin M IMER

Post by E.M.IMER »

Hello.

I have two feature requests which will help many customers more than happy.

- An easy configurable and really working Veritas Enterprise Vault email and file archiving backup.

- WAN accelerated/optimized Veeam Endpoint Agent for Windows, MacOS, Linux notebooks.

Thank you in advance.
johnwatson
Influencer
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: John Watson

Post by johnwatson »

Hello Veeam Team,

I have two request.
1. Add a Forum for Veeam Service Provider Console (VSPC)

2.Feature request for (VSPC) Unlimited points or an Auto Update client points and sync to Pulse to prevent backup failures due to clients exceeding license count.

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hello! We had one for many years and it's a very active one indeed. However, it's a private forum only for service providers that you have to apply to via the corresponding forum's User Group. We mention this in every other VSPC marketing communication we send out ;)
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2289 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Feature request for (VSPC) Unlimited points or an Auto Update client points and sync to Pulse to prevent backup failures due to clients exceeding license count.
That is possible with the new VSPC 6.0.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vac/p ... tml?ver=60

The other question as anton has told you already. :)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software