Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
meetoo
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: A Stewart

New install plan

Post by meetoo »

I am new to Veeam, and here is my proposed plan for backing up 74 esxi VMs (total initial full backup will be about 21TB):

Install a physical Win2012 r2 B&R server with attached storage (raid6?) running all Veeam roles to begin with.

Run an initial Full Backup on all VMs & then daily Forward Incrementals.

To ensure that the ‘full backup’ for each VM does not get too far out of date, I plan to run Synthetic Full jobs on all servers once a week.

Our retention policy is to keep 1 backup for 7 days, then 1 backup per week for 4 weeks, then 1 backup per month for 12 months.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this plan?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: New install plan

Post by foggy »

Looks good for the initial plan. Are you going to use some sort of secondary location for your GFS (weekly, monthly, yearly) backups (GFS retention is available in the backup copy jobs only)?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Install a physical Win2012 r2 B&R server with attached storage (raid6?) running all Veeam roles to begin with.
Please mind system requirements for each role. Also I would recommend to use RAID 10 instead of RAID 6 as it offers better performance and a similar level of redundancy. How many drives do you have btw?

Thanks
meetoo
Influencer

Post by meetoo »

Still deciding on the DAS, so not sure. Was hoping to avoid R10 due to losing half the drives.

And yes, I plan to run a backup copy to an Azure VM w/additional storage.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Still deciding on the DAS, so not sure. Was hoping to avoid R10 due to losing half the drives.
RAID 6 capacity gets better as the number of drives increases while the fault tolerance level stays the same (2 drives):

5 drives - 60% can be used
6 drives - 66.6%
7 drives - 71.4%
8 drives - 75%

Since you are going to have all roles on one server it's worth trying to test simultaneous backup of multiple VMs to any storage that you have at the moment to see which part of your system will be a bottleneck. If it's not a repository then you can stick with RAID6.

Thanks
meetoo
Influencer

Post by meetoo »

Thanks for the suggestions!