Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MoshiMoshi
Novice
Liked: never

New licensing price increase

Post by MoshiMoshi »

I was planning to upgrade to U4 today and saw that Veeam is switching to new licensing model.
We only need 5VMs so it seems that the pricing will increase 100% for us, since we only bought 5VM/1Y bundles before and now we need 2x 5 instance bundles.

I love Veeam but this price increase is insane, I hope you will allow buying 5 instance licenses just for Essentials.
Otherwise I dont think I can justify using Veeam anymore. I know we are too small for you too care but still :(
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: New licensing price increase

Post by veremin »

I'd recommend reaching your sales representative to clarify the details regarding licensing, type of licensing offerings, migration procedure and potential discounts with him.

By the way what product edition you're currently at? Standard?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Price per VM remains the same with the new subscription licensing.

Unfortunately, we're losing money when selling just 5 VMs, which is why we don't want to keep selling anything less than 10 VMs.

By the way, this also explains why the new Community Edition limit is 10 VMs - again, there's just no interest for us to sell less. So you can consider using that, instead of buying.

Thanks!
Ibeme
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Bjoern Ebner

Post by Ibeme »

What is this Community Edition?

Are there any details on it? I can't find anything about it.
MoshiMoshi
Novice
Liked: never

Post by MoshiMoshi »

v.Eremin wrote: Jan 22, 2019 6:30 pm By the way what product edition you're currently at? Standard?
No we are using enterprise to get SureBackup and SOBR.
Gostev wrote: Jan 22, 2019 6:43 pm By the way, this also explains why the new Community Edition limit is 10 VMs - again, there's just no interest for us to sell less. So you can consider using that, instead of buying.
With Community Edition you mean the free version?

BTW I think unifying VM/Server/Agent licenses is very good, it just hit us the most with pricing.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Ibeme wrote: Jan 22, 2019 7:06 pmAre there any details on it? I can't find anything about it.
This is documented in the What's New PDF, please refer to the Technical Documentation section on our web site.
MoshiMoshi wrote: Jan 22, 2019 7:09 pmWith Community Edition you mean the free version?
No, I mean the new Community Edition specifically. Free Edition has been discontinued with Update 4 (again, What's New document has these details).
paallergy
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Jonathan Schultz

Post by paallergy »

There is still a Free Edition that includes Update 4 :)

Veeam Backup Free Edition
Contains Update 4
Version: 9.5.4.2615

https://www.veeam.com/virtual-machine-b ... nload.html
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Please ignore "Free Edition" wording, all pages are currently being updated based on their priority (just too many changes for one sprint). As of Update 4, Veeam Backup Free Edition no longer exists.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

BTW I think unifying VM/Server/Agent licenses is very good, it just hit us the most with pricing.
If you currently have Agent licenses as well, then you may want to migrate to subscription licensing for your VMs as well, since in this case those 10 instances will cover both your VM and physical machine backup requirements.

Otherwise, as mentioned by Anton, you can switch to the Community Edition (which is free).

Thanks!
DDIT
Expert
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Michael Yorke

Post by DDIT »

Hi,

Whilst my comments are not related to the OP's topic, I thought it best to post here based on the title.

We moved to subscription last year, just after it was available as it made sense to our use case. Now a year later we are now facing a 9.2% increase in renewing. Our reseller was upfront and explained they are quoting at cost +1%, so the price rise appears to be on Veeam's side, which seems very high for an annual increase. Are we going to see this rate increase each year?

On a related note, can someone confirm what the example 556.80 GBP price which appears here https://www.veeam.com/veeam-backup-esse ... icing.html is actually for? The bold title says 10 instance licenses, but the subtitle mentions sold in 5 instance bundles. Based on the title, I would assume £556.80 is for 10 instances, so if we need 15 instances we would pay 1.5x this amount, or £835.20. If I have interpreted this incorrectly. then please simplify the web pricing example and confirm what the MSRP is for 15 instances on a 3-year subscription.

Lastly, does the mentioned 20% discount only apply when paying for all 3 years up front? Or can it still apply if paying yearly on a 3-year agreement?

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hello!

1. This needs to be investigated more closely and with specific numbers, because in reality MSRP per workload did not change. Please PM me all details on the original order (SKUs, quantity and price paid) + same for the current order. Some common explanations are discount/promo with the original purchase, local currency exchange rate change, etc.

1a. Subscription price did not change once since its introduction a few years ago.

2. I get prices shown me in CHF so I cannot match to what you're seeing. But on the Essentials page, you should be seeing the price for 5 instances bundle. 15 instances will require 3x of 5 instance bundles.

2a. Click License Configurator on the same page, I personally find it very well done and clear.

3. 20% discount only applies when paying for all 3 years up front.

Thanks!
DDIT
Expert
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Michael Yorke

Post by DDIT »

For those following this topic, and with thanks to @Gostev, here are the answers...

1. the price increase was indeed attributed to currency exchange rate changes throughout the year.
2. I get prices shown in GBP for 10 instances, although Gostev suggested this page may be revised for clarity to show pricing for 5 instances.
2a. Yes, use this for a more accurate MSRP price, although for me the price on this page is shown in USD.