Lagcat
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jake Ryan

New Netapp FAS8020

Post by Lagcat »

Hi All

we have our new FAS nearly ready to use with Veeam

so we are going to move to storage snapshots away from the previous 3 par - but i do have some questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------

at the moment we have backup jobs each containing 40 servers to keep split if there were any issues

with the storage snapshots - if two jobs (80 servers) are across multiple datastores/volumes but backup at different times - i guess this means i would get multiple snapshots on each effected Netapp volume?

so I am guessing I need to either or group the jobs by datastore or do an entire cluster backup to keep the amount of snapshots down/tidy?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

we will also be purchasing a second FAS for our DR location to use the secondary storage option that utilizes snapmirror

for this do i just create the snapmirrors using the netapp and veeam uses the existing snapmirrors or does veeam run a 'wizard' like tool to create the snapmirror for me and push the scheduled syncs?

i have been looking for a snapmirror with veeam example but not found one yet - so any documentation would be good

----------------------------------------------------------------------

thank you
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: New Netapp FAS8020

Post by dellock6 »

Hi Jake,
here are my answers:

Snapshots: you are correct there will be snapshots for the volumes, but keep in mind Veeam tries to indentify the VMs in the same job that are stored in the same datastore, and create a vsphere snapshot of all of them before taking a single storage snapshot. So yes, a job per datastore would indeed align best with such design, but imho it's not mandatory: the main reason is that I personally suggest, usually, to leverage storage snapshots for the VMs that really need it, and configure jobs to leverage this feature. In the same datastore there would probably be critical VMs (that need BfSS) and less critical ones. I'd create specific jobs for VMs that need BfSS, otherwise the vsphere snapshot of all the VMs in the datastore will anyway take time, thus defeating the purpose of BfSS.

Snapmirror: the realtionship must be created and configured using NetApp tools. Once it's in place, we can read and use the existing snapmirrors.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Lagcat
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jake Ryan

Post by Lagcat »

thankyou Luca
I have a new question - we have our snaprestore licence up and running so we are able to do the storage snapshots

but what if I want to backup to tape?

just run a test job but I lose the option for off-site and tape.....I am guessing this is the force the Netapp snapmirror route?

is there any was I can get the storage snapshots to tape??

Cheers
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You mean archive snapshots created by NetApp device to tape, using VB&R? No, there is no such functionality.